Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Realistic outlook on drugs?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so I've always had a very nervous/anxious disposition towards drugs. Never wanted to experiment, always been very edgy around people who use/abuse them. I can't be in the same area as them or anything, really. At least not comfortably.

However, I know this view on drugs of just "BAD BAD BAD ALWAYS BAD" maybe isn't really called for. I know it's an unusual reaction to have and I really want to try and change my feelings about them to be at least semi-realistic. I was wondering if anyone out there could provide anything about drugs that isn't one sided? I've talked to people before but some have been very against them (sort of like myself) and some have been pretty hardcore users. So, naturally, neither of those views are very objective.

My seemingly far-leaning view on the topic has caused a few relationship issues and I'd be glad to try and settle things a bit. I guess I'm asking people who have tried anything - regardless of if you're still involved with it - to provide some sort of unbiased light on a very negative mind. Thanks in advance. :)

PS: I realise this sounds very vague and broad, but that was the intention. Any information anyone can give on any substance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I used to take Ecstasy, Amphetamine and cocaine for recreational purposes. I remember the first time i tried speed and must admit i felt wonderful. It was the same with cocaine and had a lot better night out than i ever had drinking alcohol. Gone was the effects of to much beer and feeling awful by the end of the night as was any hangover the following day. The second time i tried it was far from the same. I had my first line and then shortly after a friend was spotted taking some and had it taken off him and kicked out of the bar we was in. As soon as it started to wear off on me i felt completely down and zapped of energy. I ended up going home very early as felt like i'd had all the life gone out of me.

It was few years before i tried any again but this was in a completely different circle of people. It started off with taking a bit of speed to give us a boost after a long day on the beer and at the time thought it was great. When most people go home ill to bed after drinking we'd be full of life and have a great laugh at anothers home. This became the norm and was starting to take more and more.

I won't go into full detail as you want an unbias opinion. The bad points started to outweigh the good ones. After a year of living this lifestyle and my head being far from it used to be i started to realize how dependent all my friends had become. To see them during the week compared to weekends was like seeing two different people. They could not function or be themselves without drugs.

I was lucky to have friends though who could keep control of emotions like anger even when on drugs. Living in the area i did a lot took drugs like ketamine and other cheaper options. From experience drugs like these make people very unstable and quite worrying to be around.
    That's interesting to read... thank you Smile2014. :) Can I ask if you currently use anything?
    I've done most of the common illegal substances. No regrets. I had an addiction problem with one mainly because of my personal situation but I can take it recreationally now with no issue. My dad's an NHS substance misuse adviser and he's always said to me if you're stable, sensible and financially able then drugs are fine.

Obviously doing drugs constantly is bad for you, just like drinking alcohol constantly is bad for you. Know your limits and use drugs for fun- not to make you feel better- and there's generally no issue.
    Thanks Broken-Angel. :) Wise words.
    Taking drugs or drinking alcohol is just as bad for u. You got to think why and what made u start doing this and know the reason behind it so u are aware on what effect its having on u. You may not know this at first cuz u don't know why but u start to know u have a problem when people around u can notice ur problem so realising u have a problem will make u aware of the problem more clearly and hopefully may talk to someone about it or get help. Some people may already know why they have a problem in the first place and that's fair enough but those people know what its doing to themselves which isn't healthy for them. Only the person can change for themselves, they have to realise what they are doing to themselves as the problem isn't just gonna go away as think it maybe doing now in them staking drugs or drinking limites of alcohol. Have to see what it's doing to the people who care about u and ur friends around. They may end up losing u and that's the last thing u may want. That's why u need to seek professional help straight away even if u like it or not. Having someone there for u is a good way of making u want to do something about it. Remember to seek emergency help STRAIGHT AWAY if u feel suicidal.
    MikeS wrote: »
    That's interesting to read... thank you Smile2014. :) Can I ask if you currently use anything?

No and have not done in quite a few years. I now have kids so nights out clubbing etc are long gone.

I had some very bad reactions towards the end of taking anything which scared me. Even though i only took them at weekends i was surprised how much i had changed. Once i'd stopped i realized how much they affect people
    smile2014 wrote: »
    No and have not done in quite a few years. I now have kids so nights out clubbing etc are long gone.

I had some very bad reactions towards the end of taking anything which scared me. Even though i only took them at weekends i was surprised how much i had changed. Once i'd stopped i realized how much they affect people

I've heard a few people say that. It's not so much the physical effects that people tend to talk about its the other stuff, personality and such? Seems to take a bit of realising amongst people too. Great to hear you're settled with a family by the way. :)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    If people let drugs run their life and they fuck up massively because of it then I don't have a lot of sympathy for them, shoot me or whatever for that. But I have no real issue with drugs, only with people who can't use them responsibly or bitch and moan when they have a bad reaction.

Most people close to me have done/at least do weed, I can't touch the stuff personally cos it sends me into major anxiety attacks but I have no real problem with others doing it around me. The boyf smokes it and there are kind of rules in place that makes shit easier, like I know when he's gonna be smoking it and who with, and the same rules apply if I'm going out/drinking. It's just about testing your own limits and compromising.
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    The boyf smokes it and there are kind of rules in place that makes shit easier, like I know when he's gonna be smoking it and who with, and the same rules apply if I'm going out/drinking. It's just about testing your own limits and compromising.

That sounds really sensible. :) Me and my g/f have a similar thing. I hear what you're saying I think. It's nice to talk to people like this about it - it sounds like everyone's experience with various drugs varies incredibly. Like there's no real right or wrong thing to do, but something you have to evaluate for yourself.

Would you say it's better to be over cautious than under cautious when it comes to drink and drugs? Or is that not really a factor?
    Definitely over cautious. If you take too much and you're not safe you're potentially screwed, you could end up in a dangerous situation or in hospital and that's with drink and drugs. At least if you're over cautious you can turn around to yourself and be like 'Okay, so I know I can deal with that, I can experiment a bit more next time'. It's pointless going overboard and ruining the experiences in the future, which is exactly what I did with green. There's no rush and no pressure, just make sure you're safe and sensible.
    I've heard a few people say that. It's not so much the physical effects that people tend to talk about its the other stuff, personality and such? Seems to take a bit of realising amongst people too. Great to hear you're settled with a family by the way. :)

I think the main thing is some people like the false personality it gives them. Some of the friends i made when first trying various drugs came across as the life and soul of the party type of people. Originally i thought what a great laugh these people are and how confident they was. Never thought strange how these people vanish during the week apart from text messages and phone calls. Once i'd start spending more time around them i so the other side of them very quiet lacking the glowing personalities i'd known. They obviously needed drugs and had forgotten their trueselves. The sad part was i so a couple of people get dragged down with them. It just shows you don't need to be an addict who takes drugs everyday for them to overcome you.

Thanks i have a great family now and left all that behind along with all the friends i had then.
    Can I just weigh in and say the vast majority of people who use illicit substances will never develop a problem. Just like the majority of people who drink don't develop a problem. Recreational use IS a reality, you just don't hear about it in the media etc just like you don't hear about people who have a glass of wine every now and then.
    I'm pleased that u realised u had a problem Smile2014 and u went to get help before it was too late. Some people know they have a drug problem and don't do anything about it untill they know they only got a few months to live. You did this before it got any worse down the line. You didn't just do this for urself but for ur family and friends not wanting to u not see your next birthday. Sad to hear about these stories but knowing there's support then we can start thinking there's a cure for this to stop happening again and again. I agree with the comment what said people take drugs cuz they think they we in control, untouchable and high all the time. A lot of is to do with the kick u get out if it and not cuz u love taking it. Either way what u think it's still bad and it's illegal. I agree with MikeS on the comment made about drink. Having a drink can still have just as much of a bad effect on u then drugs. You think drugs are really serious stuff but drink is serious stuff two eventhough it isn't illegal and a lot of people do it. Never gonna become a long term thing, the side effects disappear and ur back to feeling worse. Drugs and Alcohol are the same as each other so people need to start realiseing that.
    You think to urself how much ur spending and what ur gaining out if it apart from feeling high all the time and getting ur fix. You don't make thinks by dealing as they all are agsnidt u not with u and u sent doing urself any favours with stopping when u really want to. You think what is the point in doing this? There isn't any point doing this in the first place. Drink is the same two. Your not looking cool ur looking stupid in front of people.
    smile2014 wrote: »
    I think the main thing is some people like the false personality it gives them. Some of the friends i made when first trying various drugs came across as the life and soul of the party type of people. Originally i thought what a great laugh these people are and how confident they was. Never thought strange how these people vanish during the week apart from text messages and phone calls. Once i'd start spending more time around them i so the other side of them very quiet lacking the glowing personalities i'd known. They obviously needed drugs and had forgotten their trueselves. The sad part was i so a couple of people get dragged down with them. It just shows you don't need to be an addict who takes drugs everyday for them to overcome you.

I really like the way you worded that. A lot of people think drugs only affect people if it's the serious end of the scale - addiction, dependency, what have you. My friend's brother said he's tried a lot of the harder drugs, loved them, but ditched them because of how they change people. Wise words. :)
    Can I just weigh in and say the vast majority of people who use illicit substances will never develop a problem. Just like the majority of people who drink don't develop a problem. Recreational use IS a reality, you just don't hear about it in the media etc just like you don't hear about people who have a glass of wine every now and then.

I hear that. Maybe that's something that should be a bit more well known - that it *is* possible to use them without developing any issues around them. For me though, personally, the people I've known that have started taking drugs have become very enveloped in the lifestyle. Almost like if you take them regularly enough, and are that way inclined, it's all you think about and wanna do in your free time. Which I guess is down to your personal choice at the end of the day, but people around you notice it a lot. It can make you bad company as well if all you ever wanna do it get high.

Are there any particular things you guys would say are worth noting in the dangerous/shouldn't try category? Any combinations/mixes/situations/substances whatever? Likewise for the 99% of the time is okay category?
    That's exactly where I'm coming from MikeS! Thank u for agreeing! Yh people take drugs cuz of chsjgevof personaily and how it will make them feel. Knowing what it does to u is part of the cycle and people take it to get a fix. You take the drugs not also just to look cool in front of others but as u said they lack self confidence and it's again about fitting in and forgetting about ur problems untill u get ur next fixed. You think it does u a favour by taking the weight off ur shoulders but in the long run u start to realise that it's only doing that so u can take more and more of it. Broken Angel has a point two about u see in the media about who's taking drugs now and naming and shaming them but u never really hear about people drinking amounts of alcohol and name and shaming them. I think it's cuz it's not as important to put the message out there as alot of everyone drinks and isn't illegal. There still needs to be some awareness out there to make it aware.
    Hmm, I'm not sure on that Crazykiss. I think some people do genuinely just take them to unwind and have a good time - as Broken Angel says, recreational use is reality and problems with substances are equally rare among drink and drugs. I just want me to see that, really. The more clued up I am on it the better I'll feel I think. Part of it's just not knowing about it. A lot of people can do drugs and have no issue with themselves, their life, or have any problems with it. But again, like Broken Angel says, it's better to be over cautious than under cautious when it comes down to it. The margin of error sometimes isn't very wide and I can imagine the consequences being very severe if you're not careful.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    The reality is that the vast majority of people who take drugs suffer no significant long term harm.

I started using drugs when I was 15/16 back in the mid 90s when I got into ravin. As a youngster I was always wary of drugs, always believed the popular line - that drugs were bad, dangerous, and for losers. It soon became apparent to me though, that many of my friends were using drugs with no ill effects and having a great time.
    It wasn't peer pressure or a desire to fit in that made me decide to try certain drugs, it was the realisation that they can be a lot of fun.

Since then I've taken a lot of drugs, and a lot of different types of drugs and for the most part ive had positive experiences.
    Weekender Offender 
    The people I've spoken to generally seem to say that the majority of people are fine on them and have good experiences, but when it does go wrong, it tends to be pretty bad? I always thought long term effects were overlooked a lot, I have to admit. I thought they were more prominent than short term effects?
    Things can go seriously wrong if you are irresponsible.
    They can be extremely enjoyable with a very low risk if you know what you are doing.

There are several things that greatly increase your chance of having a problem.

Mixing drugs. Poly drug use can be dangerous and inflates risk. Some drugs can interact with each other to produce more harmful effects in the body. Alcohol and Cocaine for instance. Also worth pointing out that mixing depressant drugs is a particualr danger and that includes alcohol.
    Dont get carried away. Know you limits. Same with alcohol.
    Always be with people you can trust.
    Research something before you decide to take it.
    Weekender Offender 

Are there any particular things you guys would say are worth noting in the dangerous/shouldn't try category? Any combinations/mixes/situations/substances whatever? Likewise for the 99% of the time is okay category?

Don't fuck around with legal highs, most of the time it really won't end well.
    I don't know much about this myself as I've never been in this situation but all I know is like what most people would is do not take drugs whilst drinking alcohol as the body will go to overdrive and ur start to feel nauseous, faint and even pass out. All drugs are different to one another with what precautions its got but I wouldn't recommend anyone trying that as it's so dangerous. Never take drugs untill u are aware of the risks.
    I can understand ur point MikeS with some people like to take drugs to have a good time but when it comes down to it u have to wonder what their mind is doing to them in feeling like this is a good thing by not thinking straight but yh it maybe they want to have a good time as it's give them a kick as I said but in reality u know u do that then just for having a good time. I think drugs can deffo have a long term effect on u so I wouldn't see why not. Have to realise also that alcohol can just be as bad as alcohol is a drug to.
    grace wrote: »
    Don't fuck around with legal highs, most of the time it really won't end well.

This. It's funny how the legal stuff can damage you most. Just don't go there. Unless you can research it well and you know what to expect it can be very scary and dangerous. Even Salvia can trip you out more than some of the illegal shit.
    That's it. Don't mix drugs when ur using it. It messes with ur head constanly. Not knowing what to do or when to stop its still dangerous stuff so never play around with it.
    Thanks for all the responses, guys. :) Really appreciate it.
    Realistic look on most recrational drugs is that they are often fun and if you know what you're doing and careful, rarely dangerous.
    Weekender Offender 
    That's a good way of putting it. However when u do use drugs they will still effect u even if u don't take them dangerously by mixing other substances or taking alcohol with them.
    Crazykiss wrote: »
    That's a good way of putting it. However when u do use drugs they will still effect u even if u don't take them dangerously by mixing other substances or taking alcohol with them.

The whole point of any drug is that it affects you...
    I know but commenting on someone's previous coment wanted me go say that even if u take drugs without anything else or wig anything else that it's still gonna not go down well. Taking drugs will always be bad for u so that's what I ment. Don't see it point with all drugs are bad for u? Of course I know they are, that's why I never did them lol.