Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Idea: Letter to your future self

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay so recently I had an idea about writing a letter to your future self. This could be applied to nearly any scenario you need it to. For example:

You go out a couple of nights before an exam, end up getting smashed, come back at ridiculous o'clock and spend the following day feeling too much of a state to do any revision (or just anything). You might find yourself saying "Why did I do this?!" or "I should have known better. :banghead:" Well, at a time like this simply write a letter to remind your future self of how bad the experience was!

It's a great way to avoid repeats of bad experiences, but can also be used for good things! For example:

You finally manage to muster up the confidence to go for a job interview and find out that, you know what, it's not as bad as you expected and you might have even got the job! If you're the unconfident type (like myself) you might find it useful to remind your future self that putting yourself out your comfort zone can be worth doing and can really pay off.

This could be much better than someone reminding you of the experience (particularly if you don't like being told what to do) or just relying on your memory (memories are extremely unreliable and biased). Since you wrote the letter, you can't deny your own words! No excuses :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    This is a really great idea Mike! :)
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Agreed!

Have you ever tried it Mike?
    I did something like this when I was a tiny owl. When I was like p6/p7. Was rather scary how much of it came true.. 'I wanna be a world champion in something' It came true much to my surprise!

Yours is a really good idea :)
    ooo, i do this every 2 months! :) I love writing letters to future me its so fun
    I love the versatility of this idea. It could be, and evidently has been, used for so many things! :) It's wicked to hear you guys use it. James - I haven't yet, but I know someone who has. :) I think I'm going to start though...

Suzy - world champion?!
    Yea haha, I don't talks about it :) not really something to be proud of :)
    World champion definitely sounds like something to be proud of, unless I needed to read between the lines for something!
    Nothing to read in between the lines about, just don't like talking about it :)
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    rosebud wrote: »
    ooo, i do this every 2 months! :) I love writing letters to future me its so fun

I think it was you, Rosebud, who inspired me to do this :P