Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Genetic disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I really hope someone on the site can help me...

I'm worrying like mad!

I have a chromosome 1 with an extra bit attached. (i hope someone gets this)

I'm perfectly healthy but i carry a genetic problem which is very rare that it has no name.

Me and my partner are thinking about starting a family soon and we have to go and see a genetics doctor.

some people with Chromosome 1 disorders have development delays, mental heath issues, behaviour problem, limb problem and speach problem.

Someone off these can me severe and some people only have some of the issues which might not be severe.

Knowing that i could pass my faulty gene on and maybe pass on disability is so so hard to get into my head.

I'm so scared going to the genetics doctors it's heart breaking.

I want to be a mum i do, but if the doctor says there's a strong chance that i could pass on disability... i'd think i'd break down!!

Please please can someone help me or maybe give me some advice.

Thank you - custard

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Hey Custard.

I get it cos I have a chromosome disorder too. I too had to have the chats with the doctor about the whole idea of starting a family. I currently am single and don't have any intention at the minute to have a child. However with anything like this it's 50/50, it's important to go to the doctors cos they can advise you, and also support you. I can understand the fear that you are feeling, however it's best to have a chat to your doctor, and also there is so much support and treatment to help children who do have developmental delays and disabilities.

I guess what I am trying to say is, maybe taking that chance and holding on to the fact that you will make a lovely mum, and there is support available.

I understand how confusing it all is. I am 25 now and I still don't understand it all properly.

Keep us posted. *hug*
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you Bananamonkey. that really means alot

I'm really happy someone understands what i'm going through and how hard it can be sometimes.

My family don't really understand and neither does my partner.

I should see a genetics doctor in about 3/4 weeks.

Thank you so much for getting back to me... :-) :-)
    It's alright. I feel the same cos sometimes I feel pretty alone and like people dont understand. Have you tried to speak to your family and your partner?

Something I did what helped the people I work with was print some info out for them what explained why am I am the way I am. Your not alone through this. And if you ever want to have a chat then I am here.

Not long to wait and hopefully youll get some answers :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank you for your reply back.

I reckon my mum knows what what's what. She was with me when i had all the test when i was 7 years old So maybe she has an understanding..

I feel better now after 4 or 5 days it was just a shock seeing it on paper.

I can't wait to go to the genetic doctors but for the time being i'm just gonna have to get on with things.

Thank you again. :-)
    Yeah maybe speaking to your mum will help you have some more understanding.

Try not to worry too much about it, it's not worth the worry and stress. I know it's hard trust me, but everything will be okay in the end. There is loads of support available.

I am here if you want to chat about anything though :)