Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Your regrets with your career

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi guys

As the National Careers Service have never done any research on the regrets people have with their careers I thought I would create a thread. Some points for you to consider

Dangerous occupations (high fatality rates)
Will you lose friends doing the occupation
Can you keep your career/private life separate
Will you get accusations made against you
Will your occupation have any detrimental effect on your health
Will the occupations/work placements that you are doing benefit your long term career?

Myself personally, studied a degree which I regret. All my university were interested in were the tuition fees. I had a really good job when I was 19 and deeply regret resigning. That was the start of the nightmare. Most of the regrets that I have either in my career or my personal life are directly or indirectly connected to careers advisors.

Looking forward to your replies.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think you'll find that there is a lot of research about job satisfaction etc out there. Quit your beef with national careers, why should they be held responsible for everything?! Do you own research.

You seem to regret everything in life. National Careers Service could get a whole case study out of you :D
  • Options
    Really? As I have said before it is their job to do research. Myself and everyone I know will do our own research in future, which no doubt will make thousands of careers advisors redundant. With youtube, whatuni, cappex and sites like this who needs them? What is the point in their existence if they don't gather information and make improvements. NONE of my friends have ever been asked what regrets they have with their careers.

If there so much research out there why has the PM or The National Careers Service never presented me with any?
  • Options
    I'm tired so I hope I'm missing some wild abbreviation here and that PM does not stand for prime minister. Pretty sure Dave has other things to do than turn up at your door with personalised research findings for you.

Also that comes under the role of Minister of State for Employment, who FYI is The Rt Hon Esther McVey MP, from Wirral West.

Crazy what you can find from a quick google. You might even find research into employment, just like I did.
  • Options
    Dangerous occupations (high fatality rates) - I work in what's perceived to be a dangerous occupation with high fatality rates, and love it. That said, run the statistics and it's not actually that dangerous.
    Will you lose friends doing the occupation - the nature of the job I do and the hours I work can make making new friends outside of work tricky, and it has the same effect on keeping up with old friends.
    Can you keep your career/private life separate - No. I have a pager 20% of the time, and a work mobile all of the time. I also live at work half the time.
    Will you get accusations made against you - potentially.
    Will your occupation have any detrimental effect on your health - potentially.
    Will the occupations/work placements that you are doing benefit your long term career? Yes.
  • Options
    plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Briefly googled, loads of stuff out there. I even recently completed an online survey on this for someone. So what if it doesn't come from the careers service? Who even uses them anyway? It sounds like you are trying to promote them but then you've said that they will be redundant in the future because everyone looks online - don't people already do that? If you are so keen on promoting them and improving them, why don't you work for them?

Sorry you had a bad experience, but it's time to take things into your own hands and get what you want out of life. If you enjoyed your job at 19, why can't you find something similar now?

Personally no regrets *yet* with my career and I always weigh things up to try and stop myself from regretting anything.