Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Summer jobs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Who has a summer job? How did you find the summer job and were you interviewed for it? Is it too late to apply for summer jobs now?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've got a few summer jobs. Found one through my current job, was interviewed for it.

Children's play area- Found it through my local paper, was interviewed 4 times, given training and Access NI checked too :)

Hope that helps a little
    suzyg wrote: »
    I've got a few summer jobs. Found one through my current job, was interviewed for it.

Children's play area- Found it through my local paper, was interviewed 4 times, given training and Access NI checked too :)

Hope that helps a little

Most summer only openings seem to be related to summer camps/schools etc. I can't find many other things. Others are just ongoing part time jobs, not limited to summer.
    Normally summer jobs are advertised just before or after the Easter holidays. Normally can be found in newspapers, we call it the dole office here... Not to sure what its called in England, but the jobs and benefits center normally have a wide range of summer jobs that you could apply to.

Also by giving you cv's into places gives you a bigger chance of getting a job, its how my best friend got hera :) best of luck!
    Even if somewhere has a long term part time vacancy its always worth applying
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Ybe7

Have you seen our Q & A article here: http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/getting-a-job/where-can-i-find-a-summer-job-2522.html it has some ideas.

When I used to be on summer holiday from school or university I often found that dropping into cafes/shops/bars in the local area and asking directly worked well. If they didn't have anything at least they have met you and are more likely to remember you when they do need someone.

Places like hotels and cafes are usually good as they often need an extra pair of hands in the summer. Or if you live in a town or city where there is a uni a lot of the students will go home for the summer and they will be looking for summer replacements. University students are all starting to break up now so it could be a good time to start looking.

Also there are lots of temp agencies you can sign up to for admin type roles.

Hope this is useful :)
    PGreen wrote: »
    Hey Ybe7

Have you seen our Q & A article here: http://www.thesite.org/work-and-study/getting-a-job/where-can-i-find-a-summer-job-2522.html it has some ideas.

When I used to be on summer holiday from school or university I often found that dropping into cafes/shops/bars in the local area and asking directly worked well. If they didn't have anything at least they have met you and are more likely to remember you when they do need someone.

Places like hotels and cafes are usually good as they often need an extra pair of hands in the summer. Or if you live in a town or city where there is a uni a lot of the students will go home for the summer and they will be looking for summer replacements. University students are all starting to break up now so it could be a good time to start looking.

Also there are lots of temp agencies you can sign up to for admin type roles.

Hope this is useful :)

I've looked in those places but many only offer ongoing part time jobs. Not specific summer jobs. There's a lot more voluntary work than paid work for summer only things.
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Ybe7. I think summer jobs are actually in decline a little bit since the recession, certainly my younger sister and her friends had much more trouble finding one than I did, but they are still out there.

As others have said, bars, cafes etc are the best bet - basically try to think about anywhere that gets genuinely busier in the summer, they are the ones who need extra pairs of hands for that time only. Although, as SuzyG said, many do advertise around Easter, and many also recruit through word of mouth/recommendation.

You don't say specifically what you do, but is it only summer you're available? Would you be available in Easter holidays, Christmas holidays etc too? This might help you in your search as the place would know you would come back and so it's worth their time training you up.

This is all just based on my experiences though, PGreen has pointed you to the best resources on TheSite :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Ybe7 wrote: »
    Most summer only openings seem to be related to summer camps/schools etc. I can't find many other things. Others are just ongoing part time jobs, not limited to summer.

It's true, there often is a lot related to this, I spent all my summers aged 17-22 doing this kind of thing. Sounds like it might not be your cup of tea though? Just for general interest if anyone else is reading and interested, one of the places I worked was here - http://www.internationalquest.co.uk/summer-jobs and it was a really good laugh even if the pay is a bit pants.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Quite a few places looks for people for summer jobs, to cover other workers that are on holiday, Check in local cafe's and hotels :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''