Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How Do I Get Over My First Love?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I haven't seen any threads that address my relationship issue.

About a year ago I got into a relationship and fell in love with my boyfriend. He was in the year below me and I was finishing my final year of school. We got into a relationship as I was graduating and it was all so romantic and one of the greatest times of my life.

I broke up with him back in October over a month after I started going to university/college. I've dated and such since but it's not the same. I've had a hard time making friends at university and settling in.

It's been a year since we started our relationship and months after we broke up but I can seem to get over him. I think about him everyday, wondering what he's doing and if he cares about me.

I ended the relationship because he seemed ashamed of me in front of family and was going to go to America after he finished school. I thought he might study in the UK with me but realised he had his heart set on the USA.

I'm wondering if I'm still in love with him or our memories.

Can anyone relate and if so how did you get over your first love?

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Vintage :wave:

I'm sorry to hear you are having a tough time getting over your first love. It is a very hard thing to move on from a loving relationship. :(

It does sound like you made the right choice, if your boyfriend was planning on going back to the USA. Long-distance relationships can be very tricky, I'm sorry you felt that he was ashamed of you. I wonder if you ever spoke to him about this?

Sometimes we do grow apart from our partners, and life takes us in different directions. It's clear from what you say that you still have some feelings for him and do care about him. It can be hard to get over someone, maybe reading this article might help you http://www.thesite.org/sex-and-relationships/relationships/how-do-i-get-over-a-break-up-4176.html

It's normal to miss a person after a break up - thinking about what you did together, and all those happy memories. Feelings don't just go away like turning off a tap. It will get easier, and finding activities and hobbies will occupy your time and help focus your attention away from your ex. Meeting new people is a great way to move on, although this can be hard.

Im sorry to hear you are having trouble settling in at Uni. It can be a hard time finding your feet. I wonder if you have joined any societies or social clubs? This can be a great way to meet like-minded people, or perhaps setting up a group yourself for the people on your course? Change is unsettling, but just remember - things will calm down eventually.

Hope this helps, and let us know how you get on *hug*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru