Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Prozac

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi i'm after some info on Prozac especially off someone who has been prescribed it for stress and depression. My Doctor doesn't think i need to be on it but will prescribe me it if i want. My wife wants me to try it to give me a bit of a boost. I'm completely dumb when it comes to drugs like this and wondering how much it will help and it what way and what the side effects are like. Thanks

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've been on prozac, I didn't get on with it at all but everyone responds differently. If the doctor doesn't feel you need it then maybe try some other methods to boost your mood before? Medication isn't a quick fix by any means and you will have to still work to improve your mental health.

Some info from the nhs here: http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Depression&medicine=Prozac&preparation=

Have you tried any other methods of help or is medication your first idea?
    Hi and thanks for your reply.

I have never tried any anti depressant drugs before. In the past iv'e heard very mixed reviews on taking any of them. The side effects do worry me especially on Prozac. My psychiatrist was opposed to taking any drug and advised to battle through it. The last Doctor i so wanted to give me a couple more weeks before deciding whether to prescribe me anything. He did say he would do though if i really felt like i needed something. After reading through the link you've posted i really don't want to go through any suicidal thoughts again which can be likely in the early stages of taking prozac.

I do feel a lot more back to normal apart from the odd bad day. It is mainly my wife who is pushing me to get something prescribed. She is just constantly worried about me. She found about one called Cytapram which is meant to be better to take with less side effects. I did some reading up this but still got a lot of negative reviews how it can worsen your mood and how hard it is to come off it.

I believe the best way is just to keep me busy. I am fine when i know i have things to do it's just when iv'e been stuck in all day and the weather is miserable that it starts to get to me.
    I'm 17 and I've been on medication for years. In all honesty I wouldn't be alive without it, and I am very glad I'm on it. I've had some awful side effects, and it took me nearly a year to get settled on the right medication. I still get some physical side effects but nothing serious.
    However medication is not the answer, it doesn't cure anything it can just keep you at a safe level for as long as you're on it. When you come off the problems could still be there, so if you are going to take medication you need to do therapy and other work alongside it. It doesn't sound to me like you want to be on medication at all and there's really no point going on to it if you don't feel comfortable or confident doing so.

What else do you do to help your mental health? Do you have any strategies for when you're feeling low? Do you have therapy or anything?
    Hi :wave:

Along with the link Broken-Angel provided about Prozac, it might be worth checking out HeadMeds for more info.

As has already been mentioned, meds aren't the magic cure so looking at other strategies is really important. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy or anything you would be interested in starting? You highlighted that keeping busy helps, which I definitely agree with. A good routine helps me to remain more stable :)
    Hi and thanks for both your reply's.

You've both basically said what my psychiatrist did. All of it has been caused by stress and worrying due to mainly money and work issues. I am getting there in resolving a lot of it. I just have a couple that can't be resolved which still worry me. He said i needed to sort the issues and drugs would not do that. It's just my wife has got me thinking if drugs would give me a bit of a feelings boost. At the same time though i do believe i am improving and don't want to take a step back risking drugs. I was a bit surprised that the psychiatrist offered so little help.

Regarding strategies i have none yet apart from to keep quiet or go for a long walk. I do try to keep busy but it's not always possible. The worst time is weekends when we've to entertain the kids as well. In the past we've always had active weekends but due to money we can't live the life we used to. I have now been signed off work for over 6 weeks and still awaiting anything off the ESA which is not helping and causing further stress. Once they start paying it will help a lot in every way. I also want to be back working as soon as possible once i am mentally well enough but my confidence is still very low.
    smile2014 wrote: »
    Regarding strategies i have none yet apart from to keep quiet or go for a long walk. I do try to keep busy but it's not always possible. The worst time is weekends when we've to entertain the kids as well. In the past we've always had active weekends but due to money we can't live the life we used to. I have now been signed off work for over 6 weeks and still awaiting anything off the ESA which is not helping and causing further stress. Once they start paying it will help a lot in every way. I also want to be back working as soon as possible once i am mentally well enough but my confidence is still very low.

Sure, all of this makes sense and you're not alone in finding weekends harder. Walking is a great way to pass the time or to distract yourself, have you got a bike? That's another way to keep busy. Now the weather is improving, you could consider going for a long walk together and taking a picnic to break the day up a bit.

In terms of your ESA, it might be worth contacting them to ask how much longer you're going to need to wait, or going to your local Job Centre to get some face to face advice.

Medication can give a "boost", because it works to correct any chemical imbalances, however I've always viewed medication as helping but not solving. Used alone, I personally think it masks any potential issues, rather than curing them - as you said medication won't cure stresses regarding money and work and it's good that you recognise that. Broken-Angel mentioned therapy, is that something you would be interested in? Quite often you can be referred through your GP to a counsellor linked to the surgery. If that isn't an option, it might be worth contacting your local Mind to see if they can offer you can talking therapies or other specific guidance.
    Funny you should say that as was discussing yesterday buying a bike. We are already going for walks which helps a lot.

Spoke to the ESA and its getting beyond a joke. I had to send another form off last monday and got told yesterday it would be next thursday before that would be looked at. It would have been easier not informing then about everything and just claiming JSA. After monday they will have had my fourth sick note which takes it to 8 weeks without anything. I really do think once this is sorted it will help a lot as won't have to constantly watch what we spend and will have some spare money to go out and do things.

I have to see my Doctor on monday to discuss what further action is needed. I will ask about therapy and do believe now that drugs are not the answer.

Thanks again
    After another visit to the doctors she was very impressed with my improvement. She said if i really wanted medication she would consider it but didn't think i needed it. She compared my moods to having a bad back. She said if you've a bad back then you don't lift things or anything else to trigger it and make it worse and its the same with mental problems. The slightest argument or issue can trigger your moods off. At least my wife is more understanding now.
    If you don't think you need it then stay clear. Your wife's 'bad back' analogy is way off. Never taken any SSRIs, but I've come across a lot of anecdotal evidence re side-effects...aggression, suicidal ideation, violence...this class of drugs should be the last resort.