Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Constantly feeling down in college...

HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
Recently at college I have been starting to feel down in the dumps, and I don't know why. This feeling has only been happening in college and for the past few months. I don't know whether it is my anxiety or something else. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Hann

Comments

• HannHann Posts: 3,434 Boards Guru
    I am currently feeling really down stressing over my coursework and I feel like I'm going to cry. I have no one to talk to and I feel like I'm being ignored and left out.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can you talk to a teacher at school? Is there any you trust enough?

You'll always have us on here and in chat. *hug*
    Can you talk to a teacher at school? Is there any you trust enough?

You'll always have us on here and in chat. *hug*

I don't trust any of my teachers and I don't want to bother them with my issues
    It's not about bothering them with your issues - student support is part of their job description. Is there a student union? They may be able to help.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    It's not about bothering them with your issues - student support is part of their job description. Is there a student union? They may be able to help.

Well ive just finished now so it's sorta too late. Plus I don't feel comfortable talking to my class teachers about it. I don't know if there is a student union.
    Well ive just finished now so it's sorta too late. Plus I don't feel comfortable talking to my class teachers about it. I don't know if there is a student union.

Nobody can help if you don't tell someone. I'm not being harsh but honestly, if you truly want help then you really have to try. Teachers are there to help, maybe just try and push yourself, it most probably won't be as bad as you expect.
    Nobody can help if you don't tell someone. I'm not being harsh but honestly, if you truly want help then you really have to try. Teachers are there to help, maybe just try and push yourself, it most probably won't be as bad as you expect.

I know but I get so nervous trying to talk to my teachers, I can't ask for help I always freak out and start panicking. I won't be able to ask for help since college is closed till 2nd June.
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Hann,

Asking for help can be such a scary thing; it's hard to know what reaction you'll get. Some people find it helps to prepare what they're going to say in advance, that way they already have the words ready and asking gets a bit easier. Maybe that would work for you? You said college re-opens on Monday. If you think this might help a little, you have a bit of time to think what you could say.

How is the coursework going?
    Why don't you write a letter they can read first. Let them know what you're having problems with and you're very shy. They'll have a better understanding of how to approach you
    James wrote: »
    Hey Hann,

Asking for help can be such a scary thing; it's hard to know what reaction you'll get. Some people find it helps to prepare what they're going to say in advance, that way they already have the words ready and asking gets a bit easier. Maybe that would work for you? You said college re-opens on Monday. If you think this might help a little, you have a bit of time to think what you could say.

How is the coursework going?

Hey JPick (sorry i'm just used to that name)

I know, I never ask for help, even when I don't understand my work... I guess I could give it a try, I just literally don't know what to say, I just don't want my mum finding out and then her getting worried all over again and thinking I can't trust her.

Coursework, well it's going. Well I am always leaving it to the last minute as I can never be bothered doing it and I always get easily distracted by Tumblr and games on my phone and tab, which then leaves me to the night before and the lesson where I start panicking and stressing out big time.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Why don't you write a letter they can read first. Let them know what you're having problems with and you're very shy. They'll have a better understanding of how to approach you

Hey Lexi

I guess I could try and do that, knowing me I will either chicken out before I speak to her or I won't show her the note... Thanks anyway
    HeyHann,

Not knowing what to say is tricky. But you're doing okay here :)
    Maybe you could just copy some of what you've said in this thread, like your original post for example:
    I am currently feeling really down stressing over my coursework and I feel like I'm going to cry. I have no one to talk to and I feel like I'm being ignored and left out.

Or even just..
    I am currently really stressing over my coursework

Your teacher is there to help you get your coursework done - so focusing on that might be a good way to start talking to her? Then maybe the next time, you could mention that you're feeling really down. You don't have to tell her everything at once :)

How does it feel to be back there?
    Hi,

I'm doing ok here because I don't have to talk face to face, I can type it all down, and if I don't like what I put I can just delete it and start again without anyone noticing, talking face to face, you can't do that.

"I have recently started to feel quite down. I have realised it is my coursework which is doing this. I have often felt like I am going to burst out crying, however I don’t as I don’t want to ‘make a scene’ or feel embarrassed. I feel alone and don’t want to see Claire (the college counsellor) as I am constantly going to see her and don’t want to go again." Does this sound ok?

Everything apparently has changed recently and that our teachers are no longer aloud to help us with the work, they can only give us a little bit and no more than that. I don't want to keep going to my teacher and say to her I am stressing over the work as she will just say exactly what she said last time "You don't need to worry and you are doing fine with your work."

What do you mean with
    James wrote: »
    How does it feel to be back there?
    I see what you mean about typing things out here being easier than talking face to face. Lexi's idea is a really good one for that!

If that says pretty much what you want to tell her, then it sounds great :) It might also be worth having a think about what you'd like to happen. What do you think would be helpful for you at the moment?

From what you say, it sounds like you've been to see her before, is that right? It's great that she thinks you're work is okay. How did you approach her before?

I meant to say 'how does it feel being back at school?' - that wasn't very clear was it! hehe, especially as I realise now that it reopens on the 2nd! (right?)
    Yeah it is, I will just write what I said before and then see how it goes on from then. I don't mind speaking to my tutor, as I know she can help...
    Thanks. Erm well I don't know, I just want it all to stop. I want my life to get back to how it was when I was like 14, I didn't have much stress and I didn't have any bad thoughts...

Yeah I've spoken to my teacher before. Well last time I just said to her "Can I speak to you at the end of the lesson." she said "Yeah" a couple minutes later she said we could go in a spare room instead at that moment. I said to her "I'm stressing out over the coursework..." she basically said "You don't need to worry, you are more or less up to date with your work.."
    Ah right haha, yeah it opens on Monday.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    Hi Hann,

Just wanted to check in and see how you were? Are things improving at college, or were you able to chat with your tutor?

It's nice to hear that you've got a good relationship with her and that she's giving you encouragement.

Let us know how you're doing
    Hi Duke

Well i'm currently not doing so well. Things are basically the same at college. No not yet, It's like every time I go to see her she's not there.
    So guys, I have finally spoken to my tutor about all of this, and she has told me to see the councillor, and I have an appointment to see her after I have finished college, today... I really don't want to go, but I know I have to, however I don't know what to say to her.
    I have spoken to the college councillor. I explained to her that it might be the stress of my coursework and she said it sounds like it could be that. She also said that it could be something else, however we won't know until the holidays when most of the work is done and I have time to myself to know if it is something else. She said if I don't feel better by this point, I should see my gp.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
    Hi Hann :wave:

First of all I would just like to say well done for one speaking to your tutor but also talking to the councillor, I know from reading your thread that wasn't easy for you to do so you should be very proud of yourself :heart:

See how you get on over the coming weeks as stress is a massive thing especially with the pressures that you have with your college work and you never know you might find things easier when you won't have that pressure anymore.

Now you have taken the step to talk to someone see that as a strength and remember that you can do it when you need to :)

purple_rain
    Hi Purple Rain :)

Thank you :) It was pretty hard, as I hate talking to my teachers plus it was nerve wrecking.

Yeah that's pretty much what the councillor said to me.

Haha well I have spoken to my tutor and the councillor before however I can never pick up the courage to do so... :S