Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No one will come to see me in hospital

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm in hospital 40 mins from where I live, in a small rural town where I used to live and where I have a few friends - I've even directly asked them I'd they would come and see me and I've gotten a no/busy/etc response from all of them. This illness has pushed so many people away and I feel so lonely - Riotbf is coming 60 miles or more on Sunday, but even my best mate hasn't called me like she said she would. I know I'm feeling crappy as it is but I'm so lonely surrounded by nurses without time to chat, elderly women who can't hear me, and the Chaplin who's very religious...

What can I do? I'm getting really down from this

Comments

• Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Try to think positively? There's a high possibility they are actually busy. I understand how difficult it must be though. Could you maybe ask for some books/magazines/puzzle books to be bought in? Keep your mind busy?

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time at the moment x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yeah, if you haven't already got any then definitely puzzle books, books and magazines are a great idea and will help pass the time. It won't be forever and at least your boyfriend is going to see you on Sunday, who knows too, maybe someone else will have a few hours to spare another time to see you.

Try and hang in there *hug* I know it's not exactly the same but you've always got us on here too.
    I've got some uni books but I've gone through the mags I've got so far. I should do some studying but I've not got much concentration span. I've also asked the British humanist association if they might visit, and that's about it. They won't let Riotbf stay longer Sunday so he'll only get to see me for 2/3 hours :(

Still in a lot of pain haven't gotten out of bed since Monday :(
    Are you able to email your friends? Or get on Facebook chat or similar? Not the same as having visitors but would give you some kind of interaction.
    People seem to be either ignoring me or saying the basically haven't the time of day to have much of a discussion.

I'm sick of this place I want to be at home even if I'm just stuck on the sofa -
    But they won't let me go until I can walk to the loo which I can't yet :(
    I'm generally feeling like I want to beg my mum to get me out of here. I've had enough, I'm the only person under 80 on the ward I can't watch TV during the day it has to be radio 2 and then it's turned off at 9. I'm sick of getting poked and prodded by the nurses and the doctors just putting it down to stress and not actually doing any tests or anything. It makes me want to scream at them. If I could pay for private care this wouldn't be the case, they would have done lots of tests and figured out how to make me better. I think my OT might even suggest I move, which isn't going to happen because there isn't going to be anywhere I can go with a garden in my town. So they'll put in a stair lift which I don't want.

My best friend has meant to call me two days on the trot and forgotten. And I'm getting paranoid that Riotbf might cheat on me or break up with me whilst I'm in here, which is probably a load of crap but it's running around my head all the same :(
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hey Miss_Riot,

How horrible to be stuck there with so little to do, and so little being done. It must make you feel pretty powerless?

As you're still able to post here, I'm guessing you have access to some kind of device. The internet is full of things to help pass time (too many sometimes!) I realise it's not the same as human contact, but maybe films/shows/courses etc might help pass some of the long hours?
    I know some hospitals run (non-religious) visitor schemes using volunteers. I'm not sure if your hospital does, but might be worth researching?

It sounds pretty frustrating that the med staff don't seem to be doing much. Do you have a lead doc who you could talk to about their plan of action?

I hope your friend remembers to phone soon :)
    I've got my mobile, so I can't watch much asides YouTube, although I do have series 2&3 of hung to watch but that's not exactly suitable watching material for during the day. It's a very small hospital (only 2 main wards) and we've only got a Chaplin here. I have contacted the BHA but they don't have anyone in my area to visit. They said they would look further afield for me though. My mum/GP/and several of mums friends who are medical professionals are all helping to draft a letter of complaint to the first hospital, and even the nurses have said that they are going to monitor my blood pressure after every dizzy spell and see if it's caused by that. I've started seeing kind of like flashing lights or palpations in my eyes so they may eventually do an MRI. The physios are starting intensively on Monday but I want to be out of here by Wednesday. She hasn't phoned but she sent me a message to say her partner hasn't been well so that's understandable.
    One really upsetting and annoying thing is that one of my pain meds keeps being forgotten so it's hours and hours late everyday :(
    Hi Miss_Riot :wave:

I am sorry to hear about your experience in hospital, it must be very frustrating. It's good that you have got people behind you who is supporting you with the hospital.
    I hope your blood pressure gets better *hug*

I hope that you get out on Wednesday so you can be back home where it is more comfortable for you.

Let us know how you get on with the physio.

purple_rain
    Mum has decided to cancel her trip which us making me feel like a huge burden on her. I'm starting to think more and more that i possibly have MS - this attack fits with all of the signs but it seems like no doctor will take me seriously. I'm going to go to my GP this week and see if i can get and urgent referral to a neurologist.

Blood pressure has gotten a little better, still on the low side though, not so dizzy though which really helps. I'm managing to stand although my knees have given way when weight is put through them on a couple of occasions.

I just want to see if i can stop being in so much pain.
    Have you ever heard of POTS? I haven't managed to find a recent list of symptoms from you but you mentioning dizziness etc made me think of that...
    I have - good friend has it in addition to her EDS. But the drs refuse to do tests on me for pretty much anything. I will again ask for it to be ruled out though.
    Seeing the physio this morning - managed to do a few steps with a frame but my lower back hurt like hell though.
    Hi Miss_Riot :wave:

That's really good that you managed to take a few steps with the frame. I know it must have hurt loads with your back but you are making a good start and you should be proud of yourself *hug*

Let us know how you get on this week.

purple_rain
    I'm going home today! Having to have a bed set up on the sofa as I can't make the stairs. The physios are going to be coming and seeing me every day at home and they're going to refer me as an urgent appointment to the neurologist as there's a query that what happened could have been a sign of MS...which is mega worrying but to know what's actually going on is better than fumbling around in the dark.
    Great to hear you're going home today Miss Riot :) I imagine it'll be nice to get a bit of independence back.

Good to hear too that they're referring you to a neurologist. The idea of MS, no matter how hypothetical, must be pretty disturbing, but it sounds like the right steps are being taken.
    No independence - I can't walk still, can't make it to the loo on my own, physios haven't come to see me as no referral was ever made. Feeling very shit about things tbh!
    Ah, okay. Well that's got to be pretty rubbish. I can see why you're feeling like that. How was your weekend?
    Did you have any visitors?
    Weekend was long, saw Riotbf and his mum for a couple of hours and then came home. But that was about it.

Just calling all the neurologists I can today to see if anyone will give me an appointment ASAP to sort me out
    That does sound like a long weekend. I guess a couple of hours wasn't really long enough, though presumably better than nothing?

Sounds like a plan - let us know how it goes :)
    No it wasn't really but hopefully he'll come down this weekend and I'll have at least Saturday and Sunday morning to spend with him.

Spent the day calling neurologists up and down the country - my mum's godmother has agreed to pay for me to be seen privately but that's £250 before any tests are done. And I'm struggling to get access to my medical records before I can see one. It's just crazy! And I'm still in bed, still taking morphine, still in huge amount of pain and sleeping and crying a lot.

I did say to my mum today that if it wasn't for her and Riotbf right now I wouldn't be here any more. They are all I've got to keep me going right now.
    Saw the physio today and she was a bit shocked about how little movement I've got. I've managed to get an appointment tomorrow with a neurologist - but it's going to cost us £250. Not been in so much pain today but I can't think straight at all!!
    Thanks for the update Miss_Riot,

That does seem pretty steep! But at least you'll be able to get a professional opinion, which sounds like the best thing to do at this point.
    I'm glad the pain's eased off a little, though not being able to think straight must be pretty frustrating.

I hope the appointment goes well today :)