Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Panic Attacks.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey Guys.

I have been experiencing fear and irrational panic for way too long. I have one friend who I confide in the most and he is obviously telling me to see a therapist about it, but I'm too scared to go. He saw me have one when I was in Manchester in December. I had a headache when we were out and thought it indicated something bad and I completely freaked out and couldn't calm down until I left the venue and went back to my hotel. I missed the event I was going to as I was so panicky. Only until when I got back 2 hours later did I feel 'safe' again.

Basically I can feel fine one minute and then randomly I can have a massive bout of fear, where I feel as though I'm going to collapse and horrible thoughts of heart attacks run through my mind. Certain things also trigger the attacks such as bridges, heights, small spaces, going to town, large spaces, queues, in bed and even leaving my hometown. I get really dizzy, heart palpitations, sweaty, hot and know its to do with fear as its a different sort of dizziness and get these feelings every time.

Leaving my hometown has been a recent trigger though and I have no idea why. I am also going to New York in 2 weeks and I'm worrying as my panic levels have been dire lately. I just feel as though I'm scared of everything and that my room is the only place where I feel fine. I'm too scared to tell my family about the attacks as they've never seen me have one as I try and keep them as discreet as I can. I also don't see them much as I live 4 hours away.

Does anyone else on here get them and what works for you to help calm down?

Rosie xx

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi Rosie :wave:

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling like this, having panic attacks are not nice and especially when you are not used to them *hug*

Moving away from home could be part of it like you said as not seeing family as you used to can be difficult to handle. It would be best to see a doctor about this and see if they will refer you to relevant services who can help to support you like your friend said.

We have a section around panic attacks and an expert chat, here is the link http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/stress-mental-health/panic-attacks-5602.html This may help and you can ask questions for some advice, there is also links for services who can support you.

We are here to listen and to help you so let us know how you get on.

purple_rain