Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

#YesAllWomen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Possibly one of the biggest hashtags which has come out of Twitter over recent times...

However, has the #YesAllWomen argument been done in the best way? Attention from the shootings in Santa Barbara seems to have switched from the tragedy of the loss of life, to the attitudes that the gun men held about women. It wasn't only women who were killed, but the killing of the three men has been brushed aside.

Will society change? Does it need to change, or are extreme gender views only held by a minority? Thoughts? :chin:

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Extreme views may only be held by a minority, but a) I don't think it's a small minority and b) there are non-extreme views that are also a problem. I do believe (almost?) everyone has some sexism in them, even subconsciously. It's deeply ingrained in our society (and much more so in others) and that won't change easily -definitely not in our generation(s) and not the next one(s) either.
  • Options
    Society does need to change. I think it will, but not enough, and slowly.

Before Saturday night I thought my height and my being overweight would be enough for me to not get harassed in the street. It hasn't happened for years. I was wrong. I can only imagine how terrifying that would be for someone smaller than me.
  • Options
    What is #YesAllWomen?
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    Oh, it's one of those. I saw the "not all men" thing doing the rounds the other day.

Best to avoid these IMO.

"The game is rigged, but you cannot lose if you do not play."