Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Exam & Revision ranty thread

JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
edited March 27 in Work & Study
It's that time again..

Exam season is well and truly here and we know that lots of you are stuck the throws of the dreaded 'r' word.*

This is a thread to let it all out - is revision driving you round the bend? Is your desk/room/house the tidiest its ever been? Are you having to change your proverbial pants every 5 minutes? Do you find yourself counting blades of grass in your garden?

Feel free to vent/splurge/rant here..

* For those who don't know what I'm on about, it's a word that sounds like 'television' but isn't nearly so inviting...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I was going to start one of these threads theee other day :P I never did, obviously :P

We had a mock today and then a Psychology lesson, left a full 15 mark question out, so we can safely say I got a U!
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    was meant to have my first exam yesterday, but obviously didnt go cause of everything going on.... but tutors trying to see if i can do it in June...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    meggles wrote: »
    Just got my exam case study. .. so scared now...ahhh a week today..a week to revise everything...gah :s uh oh :p

Good luck Meggles!
    You could have a look at the 'How do you revise?' thread - *BananaMonkey* has written some great tips! Feel free to add your own :)
    I was going to start one of these threads theee other day :P I never did, obviously :P

We had a mock today and then a Psychology lesson, left a full 15 mark question out, so we can safely say I got a U!

Ouch! Well, I guess that's what mocks are for. I'm convinced they make mocks harder than the real things to scare people into working harder. Just my theory..
    was meant to have my first exam yesterday, but obviously didnt go cause of everything going on.... but tutors trying to see if i can do it in June...

That's understandable Bubbles - fingers crossed they can get it sorted!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fed up of not being able to revise because I literally cannot concentrate, and dreading the hours and hours of sitting in silence as I HATE silence as I can't think if there's no sound, so can't wait for exams to be over :)
    Fed up of not being able to revise because I literally cannot concentrate, and dreading the hours and hours of sitting in silence as I HATE silence as I can't think if there's no sound, so can't wait for exams to be over :)

Could you maybe put a bit of music on in the background? Breaking up those hours with regular breaks and maybe some treats for yourself might help get you through as well - what are you studying for at the moment?

I had the same issue Volcano - I found it helpful sitting in the library café as there was quite a lot of background chatter.
    (Plus everything Jo7 said!)
    Jo7 wrote: »
    Could you maybe put a bit of music on in the background? Breaking up those hours with regular breaks and maybe some treats for yourself might help get you through as well - what are you studying for at the moment?

I wouldn't suggest listening to music, as you learn to associate music with what you're revising, and you can't really have headphones in during an exam, reivison should be done in an exam based enviroement, for example, if you have to revise a lot of essays, like I do, I would put a variety of essays in a hat, and pick one out to do, and do it in the time given, to see speed of writing etc. You can even take it in for your teacher to mark. But you have to remove alternative distractions, however, JPick's idea of going into a libary is a really good one! You can do this Volcano!
    ive ended up getting so bored ive resulted to drawing all over my hands with pens :p this is not good! got 4 exams this week.... already done 2! :D
    woah, loads of ideas aha
    I've been revising with music but i'm lowering the volume each time, it's almost nothing now, so i get used to the quiet
    The essay thing will help with history and English, so definitely going to do that a couple off times before the exams as I'm not amazing at essays...

Thanks guys :D
    i should probably start revising soon...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Revsion motivation... zero

Fuck my life.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

Sounds like you are having a tough time getting started with the revision meggles. It can be really hard to focus on revising, especially when the exam season seems to stretch on for ages and summer looks so far away.

If you haven't made any sort of revision plan already, you could try breaking the revision down into manageable chunks - e.g. revise for half an hour then take a 15 minute break to relax and let everything sink in. Or you could focus on getting through one topic everyday so at least there is an end point in sight.
    I have my exam first thing tomorrow. I feel sick with stress and have an unbearable headache:( so gonna fail this exam

It sounds like you are really worried and stressed out, you're doing well sharing how you are feeling.

If the exam is tomorrow morning, then it's important you try to get some rest tonight. Try not to stay up all night worrying as being tired in the exam won't help with your performance - you are more likely to make silly mistakes and to lose focus.

It's important that you take some time to relax, but if you want to it's not too late to do last minute revision. It might be worth starting by working out what you do actually know - there is no point re-reading things that you know already. If you know what topics you need to cover, give yourself 1 side of A4 for each and note down the key points, maybe using bullet points or by mind-mapping. When you have done this you can then use you notes from class and your books to correct any mistakes and add in anything you have missed. "Marking" your own work will help the things that you didn't remember the first time to sink in, then when you come to sit the exam and start jotting down notes, you will remember what you missed before.
    i should probably start revising soon...

When are your exams?

Getting started with revision is often the hardest part, though once you have a plan in place and have found a technique that works for you it does get a little bit easier (though may still seem really boring!).
    Loads of luck for tomorrow meggles - I hope you can wind down enough to get a good rest tonight *hug*
    Thank you..I'm just about ready to sleep but need to try remember dates of legislations and stuff D: arghhh :(

Hopefully you will have a good rest tonight and wake up feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the exam.

Maybe have one more quick read through your notes tonight, though don't take them to bed! When you are getting ready in the morning you can run through your notes in your head to see what you remember, then fill in any gaps by re-reading your notes. You probably know more than you think you do.

Good luck for tomorrow, and remember to treat yourself to a break after the exam!
    Thank you...ive just dropped both my big lever arch folders and my all my organised notes and work is all over my floor...think I might just not bother going to the exam

NO! you have to go! :P I'll peer pressure you into going! :P
    ones been that i never turned up too ... got one next week and one in June ... but don't even know if i can go to them anymore -.-
    dont think i can get to my exams ... they wont transfer me to the centre closer :(
    I have an exam im retaking for like the 10th time...on friday 13th.....WHYYY?!

same exam as me? :O Maths! we can do this! :D
    Who here finds that they do understand a question and would answer it correctly in a non exam situation but in an exam, the ideas just don't come to them?
  • Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    The exam is over. First year of uni is hopefully all done. The exam went well. Sorry for you guys who still have exams but freedom is so good right now! :hyper::yippe::yippe::yippe::yippe::yippe:
    Ybe7 wrote: »
    Who here finds that they do understand a question and would answer it correctly in a non exam situation but in an exam, the ideas just don't come to them?

That used to happen to me a lot Ybe7! I found that if I couldn't process a question properly at first, looking at something else (or closing my eyes) and taking a deep breath or two helped me focus a bit better. I reckon it was a lot to do with nerves so trying to relax a little usually helped.
    The exam is over. First year of uni is hopefully all done. The exam went well. Sorry for you guys who still have exams but freedom is so good right now! :hyper::yippe::yippe::yippe::yippe::yippe:

Congrats Starry!! Slightly jealous of your long summer ahead! ;)
    Okay, three more exams to go, Psychology PY3 on Tuesday, and I'm scared, got all my revision out, and trying to learn a glossary of words, before even attempting to cover the essay parts.
    Okay, three more exams to go, Psychology PY3 on Tuesday, and I'm scared, got all my revision out, and trying to learn a glossary of words, before even attempting to cover the essay parts.

When I've had to learn key terms in the past, I've made them into a song and used an instrumental song. Nothing sticks in your head quite like lyrics!

Good luck with your exams :)
    ella! wrote: »
    When I've had to learn key terms in the past, I've made them into a song and used an instrumental song. Nothing sticks in your head quite like lyrics!

Good luck with your exams :)

Your idea strangey worked, I was able to remember more words through the use of making up my own song, I wonder if the examiner will let me sing it during my exam, I get my own room, so I don't see why not :P THANK YOU SO MUCH :heart:

Its just like 5 words out of the 44 I had to remember, I'm struggling with a bit. But that' will be okay!

I have Psychology exam in the afternoon, and can't sleep due to stress, and I'm worried I'll end up tired, and start falling alseep in exam! D: I have my prompter to prod me if I do fall asleep, but it scares me :p
    Three hours of sleep before exam today D: Sleep hates me!!
    I have such a headache, exam isn't till 1:15, I doubt my headache wants to go away either!
    Headaches are sucky at the best of times - just before an exam is horrible!
    Paracetamol & lots of water?

Best of luck Whispers!
    What exam board you on???? :o

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    All exams are over now! :) just need to finish a 2 bits of coursework and i'm free for summer! :D