Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

should I report my brother to social services

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically a week ago my brothers girlfriend gave birth to a baby girl. Based on my past and experience eith him...I don't agree that he should be allowed jn supervised contact with her.

But if I report him to social services. I don't want my family knowing where I live or that it was me...

Maybe he could of changed?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If he's in supervised contact surely nothing can happen anyway?

I dont know the past stories but i would stay out of it unless something happens
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I agree with Lexi ... people can change ... and he might of grown up a bit since he's a father now...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    It depends on what your concerns are, and how recent they are. If you've got something that you're particularly worried about then you should definitely raise it. Do you have your own social/care worker at the moment? You could discuss it with them and they may be able to offer you more insight as to whether you need to do anything else.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Which is worse: That you do nothing and exactly what you're afraid of happens, or that you report it and nothing happens?
    Especially if "jn" was a typo for "un".

People can change but it's very unlikely and doesn't happen within months.
    It depends on what your concerns are, and how recent they are. If you've got something that you're particularly worried about then you should definitely raise it.

What are your worries about your brother being alone with his baby girl? Does his girlfriend know how he "can be"? and if not, could you perhaps talk to her about your worries?

You say you would ideally make a complaint anonymously so your family don't know it was you - is there any member of your family that you could confide in that knows what your brother has been like before?

If you feel strongly that this baby girl's safety is at risk, then go with you gut Emmalee. It will then be in the hands of the social workers and they will have to assess the situation. Have a look at this article on calling social services anonymously.

Good luck, let us know how you get on *hug*
    Going from work and a safeguarding point of view if I child is in immediate danger then it should be reported to social services. I don't know the severity of the situation, but if the child isn't in extreme or immediate danger then it is unlikely social services will do much, although they may pop round for a visit to see for themselves. Just for some perspective for us, reporting to social services would come after a period of over a few weeks where a child is consistantly:
    - neglected in terms of wearing the wrong clothing, has the wrong food or no food at all, is dirty and/or regressing in terms of their use of toilet facilities.
    - a child is more angry or upset, or quiet than usual for a substantial period
    - a child is genuinely afraid of going home
    - a child constantly has unexpalined and unusual brusies or other injuries
    - a child gets upset or refuses to have personal care done, or when personal care is done a child is very uncomfortable with the situation

With situations like neglect we would try to address this with the parents before going straight to social services. Abuse is more likely to be an immediate social services matter.

The nspcc have information here and staying anonymous while reporting http://www.nspcc.org.uk/help-and-advice/worried-about-a-child/the-nspcc-helpline/anonymity/reporting-helpline-anonymously_wda94067.html