Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

gap year or not?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Okay so the time has come and I need to decide whether or not I want to take a gap year. University applications need to be in by October and I just don't feel ready or prepared for starting my career. There's so much more I want to do and see, but my mum is getting quite angry at my plan to take a gap year. I just want some more opinions and experiences if possible??
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I didn't do one, but if you're not ready to decide then take one. Go out and experience different things and it might help you decide what you want to do further down the line. You might even decide you don't want to go to university and find something else. What I will say about uni is don't do it just because people tell you it's what you should do or because everyone else is doing it. You'll end up hating it and wasting money.
    I echo what Ballerina says.
    Also (talking from my own experience) if you have the opportunity to take a gap year now to do something interesting, then take it! For me, once I started university and started looking for jobs afterwards it was hard to take a year out so I'd definitely consider this.
    What are you planning on doing on your gap year?
    :)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    Why October? Are you doing med or Oxbridge? I might be wrong but everyone who wasn't applying for those had until December to have their UCAS application in
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    What is it that your mum doesn't like about you taking a gap year?

My parents were very anti my sister taking one because the words 'gap year' had an overtone of doing nothing for a year... but then once they saw my sister wanted to take one because she didn't feel ready for university but was going to work and do some volunteering instead of sitting around doing nothing, they warmed up to the idea. So maybe if you can put together a plan of what you want to do and why you think it'll help and put it across reasonably, your mum might come around to it? It's not wasting time if it helps your development.
    Annaarrr!! wrote: »
    Why October? Are you doing med or Oxbridge? I might be wrong but everyone who wasn't applying for those had until December to have their UCAS application in

I'm applying for a competitive course which requires applications to be in by October.

And plugitin, I have plans for what I want to do and I won't be living at home. It's just quite daunting to say okay I won't apply for uni this year but then it's just as daunting to say I will apply. NOT READY FOR GROWING UP THANKS.
    Could you apply for deferred entry?
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Broken Angel

These decisions can be really scary and stressful to make! I remember facing a similar decision when I was doing my A'levels. It sounds like you have really thought about taking a gap year and have some plans lined up. Has your Mum explained why she isn't particularly keen on the gap year option? Have you shared your plans with her?

I found this article (from a while ago) http://www.topuniversities.com/blog/five-terrible-reasons-take-gap-year-five-pretty-good-ones the reasons not to take a gap year are quite funny but the reasons to take a gap year are really valid and great motivations for a year out. I particularly like the comment "The year before you start university is a good time to take a year out – but definitely not the only time this will be possible. Again, make sure the timing’s right for you." I think it's really important to consider this and it is what swayed my decision in the end.

It also might be helpful to hear that whilst I was at uni lot's of my friends did mini gap year style projects over the summer. Most uni's get around 2 months off, the friend I am thinking of worked for a month and then did a conservation project for a month, other people I know did summer internships or work experience to get a bit of insight into careers.

Also remember that if you do decide to apply this year it doesn't mean you can't have a gap year after uni (I did it this way round in the end) :)
    Thanks guys. My mum really doesn't have any reasoning she just seems to think I'm a failure at whatever. I'm quite determined to have a gap year actually, I want to carry on my current job for a while before I go into my career. I'm just wondering how do I go about it? Do I need to inform my college? Is it better to apply for uni and have it deffered for a year?
    Thanks guys. My mum really doesn't have any reasoning she just seems to think I'm a failure at whatever. I'm quite determined to have a gap year actually, I want to carry on my current job for a while before I go into my career. I'm just wondering how do I go about it? Do I need to inform my college? Is it better to apply for uni and have it deffered for a year?

College might want to know, they will if you're not going to do UCAS this year so they know not to write your reference and stuff. I think it probably is worth applying, make it clear that what you're doing in the gap year is something useful, and then if you get to the end of your gap year you know you're sorted. Also, it's probably easier doing UCAS now with support from college tutors than trying to figure it out yourself next year :)
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    It's definitely a good idea deferring if it's a competitive course. Make sure to write about what you're doing in your gap year in your personal statement. If it's med/vet med/dentistry or Oxbridge they're gonna be looking at it being relevant to the course or something that furthers you as a person like aid work or something. They expect more than just someone working in retail or a bar for the year to earn some money. I have no idea what you work as or what you're applying for so it's difficult to give specific advice so if this isn't relevant ignore it

I would tell college, yes. They'd be helping you apply for finance, which isn't relevant to you just yet.