Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Too soon to ask for time off?

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I started work midway through March. I've been told that I have 13 days this year I can have off (technically 16, but 3 between Christmas and New Year's are mandatory).
Do you think that asking for 5 to 10 of them in a row, in July or August, would be too soon or too many?

Comments

• BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    not at all ... their holidays you can use whenever you wannt ... doesnt matter how long you've been there, they sholdnt have a problem with it unless you go over you allowed holidays..
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not at all, I started my job in March and have had my holiday time in June and July booked or a few weeks now. By the time your holiday actually comes around you will have worked enough to earn the time off anyway
    Assuming that you have a Jan - December leave year, then you can do the pro rata'ing maths which would give you a pretty good indication of what's reasonable to ask for.

16 days between March and December gives you 1.6 days a month (assuming you started at the start of March). So by the end of June you'll have accrued 6.4 days leave, by the end of July you'll have accrued 8 days leave. On that basis taking 5 is more than reasonable, and taking 10 is definitely not in the taking the mickey category.
    The only thing to be slightly careful with is how common taking 2 weeks off in one go is in the team you work with. Some places see is as perfectly normal, others are much less keen on it.
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey Indrid Cold

I agree with the guys above, 5- 10 days isn't at all unreasonable and by July/August you will be due a break! I would make sure you run it by your team leader/ manager first before you start making plans, just in case other team members have booked the same time off etc. But in the mean time enjoy the bank holiday weekend - wohooo an extra day off :hyper:
  • Cat88Cat88 Posts: 377 Listening Ear
    Hi Indrid Cold :) Just another one adding my support that 5-10 days isn' unreasonable. Maybe you could use this as a way to refresh or build your understanding of your employer's time off policy - as others has said it's generally good to get a feel for how much time is likely to get approved, whether there are key months where holiday can't be taken or whether only a certain number of people can be off at one time - school holidays could already be pretty popular.

Usually though, a 2 week holiday (so 10 working days) is pretty reasonable, so I hope you can get sorted and have a nice break!
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I asked yesterday and got it, mid-July. Thanks for the advice. :)
  • PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Yeyy!! I hope you are planning something fun :)