Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

EU elections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
With the EU elections only a month away, I would have expected to see some posters or flyers by now, but... nothing. To find the manifestos of the parties I had to use google, and even then I could only find the Tories and Lib Dems. labour's manifesto is nowhere to be seen. Is people's apathy towards the EU due to a lack of promotion for the political parties, or is the lack of effort from the politicians a result of voter apathy?
Are you voting on 22 May? If not, why not?
Do you feel out of touch with the EU?
Would more communication from prospective MEPs encourage you to vote?
Do you even know who your regional MEPs are?
Does the apathy towards the EU encourage UKIP?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It has begun. Just saw the first party election broadcast by the Liberal Democrats...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuAhD5haRMA
    According to ukip there are millions of Eastern Europeans out of work, and they're coming for my job. At least that's what the posters in the area of my city with the highest numbers of immigrants are telling me...... As for voting I'm out the country.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Well, I've got the first leaflets through the door from the Conservatives, Labour and Greens. No sign of UKIP yet, or the SNP or Lib Dems, but I'm sure they will come eventually.
    Whowhere, if you're out of the country you can register for a proxy or postal vote. I'm using postal voting this time because I will be at work. (I've used proxy voting previously, but I'm no longer living with my parents, so I don't go to the same polling place as them so it would be less convenient to use a parent as a proxy as I used to.)
    I think the EU rules are quite strict in terms of what can be spent and when, which could explain a perceived lack of political content out in the wild. Equally I have seen people complaining that they couldnt find the items that the OP did, using google, which suggests a somewhat hit and miss attitude.
    I forgot to register for my postal vote. Never mind. I've had loads of stuff through the door from the tories, labour, ukip and 1 from the BNP. I must live in a hot seat. They're all wankers though.
    Had Torys, greens and ukip through my door - strange considering I live in a lib dem stronghold. I've already decided who I'm voting for though
    In a way probably makes sense if you live in a Lib Dem stronghold, they don't think they need to fight for the seat whereas the others are trying to have a go for it.

I've had Conservatives (wishful thinking in Scotland me thinks), UKIP and Greens.
    With the way things are going for the Lib Dems, I'm surprised they haven't put up more of a fight in your area, even if they are far ahead!
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I will be voting but haven't heard a peep from any party yet. I moved here fairly recently so don't know who the MEPs are but I'll be making sure I do my research!
    Spa towns were the spiritual home of the liberal movement - very distant from what the lib dems are these days
    I've got loads of UKIP bits of paper in Devon and Tory ones in London. Haven't heard anything from the others. Didn't vote for either of them anyway cos they're both groups of knobbers.
    I will be voting in the EU elections next week because the moderate vote is the only way that we keep the fascists out. It's frighteing to think that after this election 1/3 of the EP will be from the far right.

I will be voting Labour in the election because Labour is the only party that will stand up for the rights of ordinary people.

If your considering voting UKIP then make sure you understand the entire policies of the party and not just the populist, racist, homohpbic and sexist factors but the whole load of crap they come with. Cutting maternity pay, privitising the NHS, taking money from state schools and giving it to the private schools and making everyone play a flat rate tax, meaning that I will be paying the same as the people at the very top of the pyramid? I don't think thats fair.
    We're hardly had anything about the European elections but we have had LOADS of stuff about the local elections.
    It seems that most local business owners are running for a seat in the local elections - is this how it normally works?!