Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How to get out of tenancy agreement

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am fully aware that a contract is a contract but I'm really unhappy in my new place and want to go home.

I'm thinking of offering to the landlord to stay until a new tenant is found. Do you think this willl help or is there no chance? She is a new landlord so I have no idea how she will react and I'm so scared o ask but I don't want to live here anymore :crying:

Comments

• Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If your problem isn't with the house but with the fact that it's not the same house you used to live in, I think you're giving up way too soon.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most reasonable landlords will let you out of a tenancy agreement if you can find an agreeable replacement tenant for them.

That said - you haven't exactly given it a chance.

What were the reasons you wanted to move out in the first place?
    What exactly is it that you don't like about the new place?
    What will need to be different the next time you move out for it to work, if this time isn't working?
    Or do you want to live at home forever?
    from living abroad a couple of times and in different places iv found homesickness is always the hardest in the first week. maybe you could set yourself a goal of like, a month and see if you are still unhappy then?
    Not that I think it matters but I'm struggling at work as well at the moment and I feel like I need to be in a stable environment in at least one part of my life ie at home and I don't think I can be away from home until I'm in work I enjoy and is not causing me so much stress. the fact that I have almost constantly crying since the weekend is not a good sign and I don't know how much giving it more time will help
    Plus part of my reason for moving was because I'm 24 and I feel like its time I should be starting my life but I don't know if I'm ready at the moment
    You'll never be ready - or at least never feel like you're ready once you actually do it. Think back to why you wanted to leave, that was your clue that you're ready. It's learning something new, it's not easy at first, and you're likely to be rubbish at it, but you'll get better at it with practise.
    Ive emailed her to see if i can get out of it, just have to wait and see.

Even if she says no i still might move home anyway
    You haven't even been there a week. You need to give it a chance.
    Everyone keeps saying that but i dont think it will do any good. Im looking for a place i can call my home, settle into and feel like i belong. I dont feel like that here at all, and its causing me more harm than good. Why put yourself through something thats causing you grief in case it works out??

Anyway ive spoken to her and she said she wont consider it til the end of june and to hold out a bit longer. She gave me a spiel about being an 'independent adult' which i get but i dont need her telling me how to live my life. Ill just see how i feel about where to stay until then
    you won't be able to 'settle in and call it a home' unless you give it more of a try! honestly sorry if I sound harsh. but it just seems like you have given up far too easily. you've already said you are able to go back to your parents and sleep there at weekends and have tea and stuff. so it's literally just 5 week days. the more time you spend there the more you might feel at home. I think you need to try and have a little word with yourself to try and be a bit more positive about it all. what exactly is so bad?

when I went living abroad for the third time (I was a holiday rep) I was quite unhappy and homesick. I didn't really get on with the people I worked with. I knew from previous experience that homesickness passes so I set myself a limit of a month and then I would go home if I didn't feel better. I managed 2 months then came home, and I'm always glad to know I at least gave it a chance.
    What do your parents think about you moving back in?

When I was all homesick and sad and uncomfortable in my new job and flat last year my mother told me that if I gave up and came home she'd be all kinds of disappointed in me for not trying.

Seriously, just give yourself a month. Even if it is still as terrible as it is now, at least you'll be able to be proud of yourself for having tried.
    They are completely happy to have me home, my mum did the same thing when she was my age, as have a lot of other friends I've spoken to.

Anyway the landlord has said she won't consider it til the end of June so I have that long to make a decision. It's just a case of deciding to stay here during the week or not.
    Hey Lexi - sorry to hear that moving out hasn't been easy for you, it sounds like you've been on a bit of an emotional rollercoaster lately and that can't be easy *hug*

I wonder if there's anything you could plan in the coming weeks now that you know you have some time before you have to make a final decision?

Anything you were looking forward to in terms of having your own place? Whether that's inviting some mates round for dinner and a movie? Making your room a bit cosier? Being your own boss and doing some of the things you might not be so inclined to do at home?

Just a thought.. what were the things you were most looking forward to about moving out?

I was also wondering what's your daily routine like at the moment? It may be you could inject some activities that might make a difference?
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Hi again! Sorry not stalking honestly!

I don't know your full situation as I'm never on here anymore but from what I can gather you've only been in your own home a week.

You mentor zumba in your other post; could you do this? Could you join a club of some sort so you have friends local to your new home? That makes a huge difference.

Living on your own can be tough but it's so rewarding. Your own space, independence, the fun of doing what you like, when you like with no real responsibility.

I'm pleased your landlord has said give it til the end of June as I truly believe you will have a different opinion next month.

I wish you all the best and hope you have the best house parties ever!
    Hey everyone, well as an update my landlord reconsidered and is going to start looking for a new tenant in the next couple of weeks and I'm back at home where I belong. I feel 100% better and know that this is right for me. I don't think spending more time there to see if it worked out would've helped and when you know something's not right, it's just not.

So many members of my family and friends have said they did the exact same thing when they were my age and they're all behind me with my decision. I know I need to sort my job situation out, do things in life that make me happy, and eventually look to move into my own place where I can feel at home, not where I'm afraid I might damage something, or make too noise or my housemates etc etc.

I have to say I was a bit shocked by some of the responses I've had here, especially considering the mental health thread on what people have said to you like grow up or deal with it. In some situations it's that easy for some people as we all know
    Lexi I think it's because you were so unwilling to give it a try which is what shocked people, I don't think there were any harsh responses at all. people tried to give you advice and tips, especially scary monsters post in particular but you didn't respond to any of it. anyway I'm glad you're happy at home and hope you can move out one day, hope you didn't lose too much money x
    You do seem to have been rather unhappy around this situation, so it is at least good to see that you are feeling better about things. I would suggest that when and if you do get round to moving out again, a lot of the worries about the 'unknown' and homesickness won't be completely new to you, so may well be a lot easier to cope with second time around.
    Like others have said, I hope it works out for you, and you don't end up too much out of pocket. For next time around, I'd just give a heads up that don't think it will automatically be easier if you leave it until you can afford your own place.

I found moving out, and moving into a place on my own to be two very different experiences - and the latter has take a lot longer to adjust to than the former.
    Thanks guys. Im sorry if ive been a stubborn cow, I just feel like my life is a complete and utter fuck up right now. Everything is changing and i hate it and feel like im getting left behind.