Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

RIP Nintendo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Your innovative "new" idea of the new 2DS is literally slamming the last nails in your coffin, what were they thinking? "Hmm, people are complaining about the WiiU but not the 3DS, they must want a sloped, non-folded version of the 3DS, without the 3D. And to promote it we'll launch it on the same day as our global launch of Pokémon X/Y" They're apparently targeting it at younger players, so they made no way of protecting the screens that are now even more likely to become damaged or broken. GG Nintendo, I see it is just the money you're after now rather than making new, innovative, good-looking consoles and giving a crap about your large fan-base... :crazyeyes
..Rant over... ~J~
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    even though I think the new 2DS is really ugly and I hate the fact that it doesn't fold, I'll still most likely buy one. mainly because I really want to play some of the games released on 3DS (animal crossing, the new pokemons, mario) but thought 3DS's were too expensive and I hated the 3D aspect of it.

maybe they've sort of listened to the fans, because I know lots of people who didn't buy a 3DS because they weren't interested in the 3D-ness of it.
    I'm planning to get the 3DS XL, but only because you can turn the 3D off. Seeing as this 2D is coming out, I'm going to look into it as an option.

Frankly, it's not like SEGA with the Saturn, which was too little too late. Nintendo have two good consoles on the market, and a very popular hand-held. If the 2DS flops, it's hardly the end of a quality game and system producer.
    It's for little kids.

It's not aimed at you, which going by the wailing of the man children over the last day or so is an alien concept.

It's cheaper and sturdier. Guess where the structural weakness is on the 3ds? Hint, it's the hinge.

Little kids are being brought up on tablets. Now Nintendo have a tablet style version of the console that they're actually able to shift units of.

You know that you can still buy the regular 3DS right? What's wrong with giving parents a cheaper alternative? What's wrong with putting more devices into people's hands?

Do you honestly think that putting this out took any research time or budget from other Nintendo products?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    "RIP Nintendo" is a hyperbole, but I can't help but think this was a stupid decision. If it at least folded it would make sense.
    3DS's were too expensive and I hated the 3D aspect of it.
    AFAIK they're about only £30 more expensive, and the 3D can be turned off or even "locked" off. Even if I didn't like the 3D effect I'd never get a skateboard like that.
    "RIP Nintendo" is a hyperbole, but I can't help but think this was a stupid decision. If it at least folded it would make sense.

AFAIK they're about only £30 more expensive, and the 3D can be turned off or even "locked" off. Even if I didn't like the 3D effect I'd never get a skateboard like that.

from what iv seen 3DS are about £160-£180, whereas game has marked the new 2DS at £109, which is quite a difference really. iv never seen the point of buying a 3DS and having to turn off the 3D of it. but, when it gets towards Christmas and there's special deals on etc, if 3DS come down a bit I'll probably buy one of those as their appearance is loads better.
    Infinite. wrote: »
    It's for little kids.

It's not aimed at you, which going by the wailing of the man children over the last day or so is an alien concept.

It's cheaper and sturdier. Guess where the structural weakness is on the 3ds? Hint, it's the hinge.

Little kids are being brought up on tablets. Now Nintendo have a tablet style version of the console that they're actually able to shift units of.

You know that you can still buy the regular 3DS right? What's wrong with giving parents a cheaper alternative? What's wrong with putting more devices into people's hands?

Do you honestly think that putting this out took any research time or budget from other Nintendo products?

100 million times this.

My friends' 11 year old has a DS, and guess what - the hinge is broken! This would be perfect for him as I know he enjoys Pokemon but couldn't give a shit about the 3D aspect (I gave him my Gameboy Colour for his birthday a week ago and he spent hours playing Pokemon Red).
    Infinite. wrote: »
    It's for little kids.

This this this. All of this.
    What Infinite. said.

I'm not sure I get the OPs issue about the 2DS. Ok, they're probably going back in time a bit; (Gameboy) but as mentioned, it'll be sturdier.
    Its going to be all about mobile (not mobile console) gaming and free to play from what i've seen coming out of this years gamescon. Will be interesting to see what comes out of eurogamer. Its going to be all xbox one vs ps 4 next year!
    What do you think about Nintendo? Do you think Nintendo is killing itself? Do you think Nintendo is just not what it used to be? What do you think about the 3DS? Do you think the Wii U will save Nintendo or not? Do you think Nintendo will go Bankrupt sooner or later?
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    I love Nintendo.

I think they're a pretty stable company, financially, having posted only one loss in their entire history or something ridiculous like that. I sincerely hope they don't go bankrupt - they're innovative, creative, bold and daring, and their's not enough companies like that nowadays.

This comes from a lad that still plays his N64, so may be slightly biased.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I love Nintendo as well, but I can't refuse they're acting extremely stupid.

Nintendo are just what they used to be, and that's the problem. They need to change, and they have, but not fast enough.
    Mario 3D World sold like crazy (in context, given the Wii U's sales). And yet they refused to have online play in it because they wanted to preserve the classic feeling of playing with your friends in a living room (I don't remember their exact words).
    Their online network is pretty cool. I'd say it may even be better than PS3's. And yet the downloadable content you buy is STILL tied to the console and not your account.

Instead of trying to become a modern company (and they don't need to give Mario guns or add a sex minigame in Zelda for that to happen) they're trying to change as little as possible. They're still awesome enough to not be in trouble yet but that won't last forever unless they adapt.

Fanboy rant over.
    Next comes E3 2014 and everything will be grand.