Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

General studies at college

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
So I'm at college at the minute and I'm extremely stressed about my exams! To add to this stress I have to do 2 exams in general studies!! What is that about?! This subject should NOT but compulsory.
I want to put some sort of online petition to stop general studies from being compulsory. What do you guys think? Do you think I should do it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's basically supposed to test your general knowledge but it does much more then that. It includes different questions from subjects (at A level standard) that your not neccesserily doing. There's no way of revising it as we won't know what will be brought up in the exam. It's the stupidest exam ever

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
    It is

Regardless of if its meaningless you have to do it so may as well try and do well. Other all the lessons really will have been meaningless
    Most places don't even accept it as an A level so I wouldn't worry. Just turn up at the exam and do what you can, it's all anyone else does.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Regardless of if its meaningless you have to do it so may as well try and do well. Other all the lessons really will have been meaningless

I know but if I focus on this exam, I'm taking my attention off my other exams that I actually need to do well in. It's just a pointless subject.

Ballerina wrote: »
    Most places don't even accept it as an A level so I wouldn't worry. Just turn up at the exam and do what you can, it's all anyone else does.

That's why its a pointless exam that causes unnecessary stress to too many people. If it wasn't compulsory it wouldn't happen.

I really wouldn't worry about general studies. It's not accepted as a qualification and if you fail there is no need to put it on your CV. It really isn't worth worrying about, put your focus into other exams. Unless you know that general studies is needed for what you want to do then it is fairly pointless.
    I didn't go to general studies lessons, I hadn't even seen an exam paper before I sat the exam and I still did ok, so I wouldn't worry :) And like the other's have said, if you don't do well you just don't mention it on your CV
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    I know but if I focus on this exam, I'm taking my attention off my other exams that I actually need to do well in. It's just a pointless subject.

Dont worry about it then and focus on the subjects that matter. No point getting worked up for something that doesnt
    I really wouldn't worry about general studies. It's not accepted as a qualification and if you fail there is no need to put it on your CV. It really isn't worth worrying about, put your focus into other exams. Unless you know that general studies is needed for what you want to do then it is fairly pointless.

If colleges know its pointless, why do they continue to teach it?

ninaballet wrote: »
    I didn't go to general studies lessons, I hadn't even seen an exam paper before I sat the exam and I still did ok, so I wouldn't worry :) And like the other's have said, if you don't do well you just don't mention it on your CV

I just don't understand why we have to do it. I mean I have to go to my general studies lessons so I could be studying on one of the subjects i have to actually concentrate in the lessons that are taken by this pointless subject

We had to do it too I didn't turn up to lessons appeared at the exams and wrote the questions in the answer parts in one of them and still came out with a Decent grade. I agree it's pointless but it's what you've gotta do just do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's unnecessary stress

That's education for yah ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Uep

Maybe it helps you with other subjects indirectly? Perhaps through essay-writing or analytical thinking?
    In terms of higher education, most universities will not recognise A Levels in General Studies or Critical Thinking for admissions purposes, i.e. you will still need 3 (usually) other A Levels at the required grades.

However, General Studies and Critical Thinking A Levels may be considered as an alternative to the additional AS Level subject that many universities require you to have. If you want to find out more information about what a university thinks about GS and CT, it is best to have a look on their website.

It's probably not worth stressing yourself out over a General Studies exam - your time would be better spent focusing on your other subjects and making sure you do well in those. If you have time to do a bit of revision then you can, and it is worth trying your best in the exam, but don't let your concerns about GS affect your other subjects :)
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    seems confusing :s
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Hello Becki!!

When I was at college the careers service was useless. I had three appointments with three different advisors and they were a waste of my time. Talk to people on here, whatuni.com or youtube xx When I was at college like you I was studying something called 'Key Skills'. When I got to university they said to me 'How many UCAS points have you got without your key skills'. Whatever you study, whatever your occupation do your own research. It's your decision but I would not waste your time with the careers service.

Go and talk to people that work in your chosen occupation, and visit some universities. See you in chat x