Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shampoo Shambles

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

My boyfriend lives in soft-water area.

I find, rinsing my hair after shampooing it an absolute nightmare!

When my boyfriend puts the thermostat on, you only get 20mins of hot water. I have to use the hot water and then the freezing cold water, but to no avail!

I have used smaller amounts of shampoo, I have also tried, only giving my hair 1 wash instead of 2, to try and make it easier to rinse.

Does anyone else have this problem? :banghead:

Thank you in advance! :)

Comments

• Options
    How much less shampoo have you tried using?

The difference in what's required is massive between hard and soft water.
  • Options
    How much less shampoo have you tried using?

The difference in what's required is massive between hard and soft water.

Hi Scary, thank you for replying.

Basically, a blob about a bigger than a 10p piece in my hand. Like I said above, I've also switched to only doing one wash instead of two.

Does it make a difference if you use 2-1 shampoo, do you think?
  • Options
    If your hair is coming out clean after the one wash, then leave it like that. When you use shampoo in a hard water area, a lot of the detergent gets used compensating for the hardness in the water - and only some of it gets used for washing your hair. In a soft water area you only need enough to wash your hair.

Try dropping it down to the size of a 5p piece (or even less), and see if that gets you a lather all over - as long as you're getting that then you've got enough shampoo. The washing it out problem is probably because you've got loads and loads of 'unused' soap in your hair so it's continuing to foam as you wash it out. So go down to tiny, tiny amount of shampoo - and work up to the minimum amount that still gets a lather in your hair and that's about the right amount.

With 2 in 1 shampoo it's probably slightly harder to judge - I find it harder to judge when that's all washed out at the best of time because it leaves the conditioner behind. You might find it easier to adjust by doing a single wash with shampoo, and then a follow up with conditioner rather than 2 washes with 2 in 1.
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice Scary, I did try a tiny amount of shampoo, but it didn't lather very well so I used more. I only gave my hair one wash, but it didn't all the grease out, so I'm doing it by trial and error now.
  • Options
    Maybe only one wash followed by some dry shampoo?