Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Would you stay Facebook friends with a boyfriend/girlfriend after breaking up?

Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
Facebook-unfriend1.png

We still had to decide whether to keep any contact with an ex before Facebook. But Facebook has made it lots easier to stay in touch and see what they’re doing - and if we want to avoid it we have to make an active decision to do so.

This can bring up various issues (although it doesn’t always):
• How do you feel when you see that your ex is having a good time (even worse with someone else!)
• Do you end up contacting your ex when you really shouldn’t?
• Is it harder to get over someone when you keep having contact with them?

I’d really like to hear about other people’s experiences and thoughts on this one. Do you stay friends with exes on Facebook. Also, did you think about the decision? What things did you consider?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cut the cord. Staying friends with the ex on Facebook is just asking for trouble, especially if you're with someone else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    No. I don't even stay facebook-friend with someone who mildly annoys me.
    In part, it depends why we broke up in the first place. But generally, no.
    I'm not Facebook friends with any of my exes - I've always left it to them to do the unfriending though. Usually it doesn't happen immediately since we aim to remain friends but a few weeks later I'll notice they've disappeared off my Facebook...
    See I'm pretty much the opposite. I think I'm still facebook friends with pretty much all my exes, although being an old fart it's probably slightly different in that Facebook has come into their lives after we split up - and they're all people I still have some level of contact with through various mutual friends/organisations we're involved in.
    Depends on the ex and why we broke up. Two of my very best friends are exes of mine.
    Well I blocked my ex on Facebook but joint to his account he has a page for his business which for some unknown reason decides to pop up every now and then on my homepage. I saw pictures the other day that made me feel sick.

I guess it depends on what happened during the relationship, how the break up went, what happened after the break up, etc. Like maybe if the break up is a mutual decision then they could stay friends but if a break up goes bad then obviously I don't think anyone is going to even think about keeping their ex as a friend.

The three points you've made Danny are definitely why I would never think about having my ex as a friend on Facebook now.

There are other ways that they can contact you, etc. but I think Facebook is the first thing a lot of people turn to and it all depends on what you want or are hoping for.
    I generally stay friends with them but unfollow them so I only see what they're up to when I want to, which is the best of both worlds I think.
    If it's amicable then possible but I wouldn't pay much attention to their feed, otherwise delete delete delete!!
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Thanks for your replies everyone :)

I wondered reading through how closely those decisions about staying Facebook friends relate to decisions about staying with friends with exes in other ways. Is it as simple as you stay friends on Facebook if you stay friends in real life - or might you stay friends with an ex on Facebook but not have any further contact with them? Or unfriend them on Facebook but still have other contact (like phone, or email).

Also, I was wondering how everyone would feel if their boyfriend/girlfriend was friends with their exes on Facebook? And for those of you who do stay friends with exes, has that raised any issues with other partners?
    Again, depends on which ex. But in general, no, I wouldn't mind. Would be mighty hypocritical of me if I did.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Yes, i always try keep in contact with ex's ... i'm still friends with most of them...
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''