Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

*Trigger warning* Police Investigation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I was sexually abused over the Christmas period and went to the police to put in a complaint. I had to do a medical that night then a DVD the next morning. However earlier this week I was told they were dropping the case due to the lack of evidence. Is there anything i can do to get my 'abuser' sent down? It scares me the thought of them still being out there, walking the same streets as me!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They aren't always let off sometimes those who can't be prosecuted may be put on the sexual abuser register or if pending investigation may also be out on it. They also have to live through what they have done. The police can't always get enough evidence to secure a prosecution and today's society I doubt there's enough money to take everyone to court with sexual abuse and lack of evidence. Yes it's hard on the person who was being sexually abused but the police do there best to get them prosecuted where and if possible. I've been in the situation myself it couldn't go to court as they didn't think it would lead to a prosecution a lot of undue stress in court proceeding etc we can't stop them all but making them aware of who and when will have records of this should anyone else come forward.

It's hard to get on with life but you are letting the abuser win which is what they want. I'm not saying it's easy to move on but living life as a person who got abused there is so much more to the person and to life than finding ways to prosecute and get more evidence you'll only put yourself in more stress and may even cause an investigation to mess up.

Well done for going to the police at the time that is a good achievement in itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There isn't an investigation to mess up. Theyve completely dropped it and said there's no way of opening it again!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk
    I mean if you were to find ways to get the abuser prosecuted. By looking for ways and taking it forward if they were to reopen the case may mess things up as you're looking for ways to have the abuser done. If another person was to come forward if this has occurred then they would likely to reopen the case they am any day there's no way of opening it again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You can make a complaint. The case can be reopened but you need to push for it. At the very least you deserve a proper explanation.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    BeckiBoo wrote: »
    There isn't an investigation to mess up. Theyve completely dropped it and said there's no way of opening it again!

That's bollocks. The police wouldn't say that. The police say if you can give us more evidence then we'll reopen the case. Obviously if there is no more evidence yea it's heartbreaking but if the police are saying there isn't enough evidence there is no way you could get a conviction in court. They don't want to put you through extra hardship by sending you to a court case that you will lose. Did the police refer the case to the cps? You should receive a letter from a cps barrister explaining why it won't go to court, and if you haven't then request one.
    No I haven't got any letter. And its not bollocks either!

I know for a fact the police would not say that, and if they had you need to make a formal complaint. Speak to the officer who was in charge of the investigation, if the case was referred to the cps you should be given a letter from the barrister who made the decision. If it wasn't referred to the cps (and looking at the time frame I doubt it was) then all you can do is get more evidence. If you can't get more evidence then there really is nothing more the police can do. You need to focus on overcoming what has happened and moving forward with your life without a conviction. Yes it is very difficult but the standard of evidence needed is very high.
  • Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi BeckiBoo

I just wanted to say I'm really sorry to hear what happened to you over Christmas. It was really brave of you to go the police, and it must be really disappointing and worrying that they aren't taking it any further at the moment.

If you want to talk through the emotional and/or legal side of things more, you could contact Women's Aid on 0808 2000 247 (open 24 hours).

Make sure you get the support you deserve. No one should have to go through what you have, and it's really important to make sure there are people around to help you through.

Keep talking here.
    Danny
    Thanks Danny

Any update? Did you demand a better explanation?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk