Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Political Heroes

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
You may have seen that an old dude named Tony Benn has died. Not sure if many of you have heard of him before? But regardless of your politics, it's pretty clear this man made quite an impact and was a force to be reckoned with.

Here's an article about him: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26573929

Are there any politicians that are around today that you think will deserve recognition when they're in their 80s? Is there anyone you feel you'll want to tell your kids/nieces/nephews/friends children about 'X needs to be respected because they made y happen'...

Just wondered whether the age of political reverence (deep respect) has gone...?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He was very much a man of his convictions, who I do honestly believe was concerned about his constituents. It seems very clichéd to say it, but endless respect for the man despite not always seeing eye to eye with his views.
    There seem to be few politicians of conviction anymore (just more with convictions)

Caroline Lucas MP for Brighton pavilion (I believe) and head of the Green Party. She's very happy to be arrested peacefully protesting for something she believes in.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Is she someone you particularly respect Miss_Riot?
    In a way yes, no politician or political party is perfect but I feel that if someone is willing to stand up, be counted and suffer the consequences for a cause they believe in. Very few politicians will do that.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I did an ice-breaker in a creative session on Saturday - we asked 'which celebrity do you like that you probably shouldn't' and one lad said: 'Boris Johnson'. Could he ever be deemed a political hero?
    I can't help but admire Boris Johnson because of how shrewd and calculating he can be. I'm not by any means saying it is a good quality, but it is indeed genius. Many people see him as a bit of a blustering buffoon who manages to get on with the job, an entirely constructed persona I can assure you. I recently borrowed a book from a friend and it was a bit of a Boris bio; quite eye opening to his past and very interesting.
    I think there are too many career politicians these days. They seem to all be in it for themselves and not for the good of the country. I agree with Miss_Riot that Caroline Lucas at least shows a bit of conviction, as does her Scottish oppo Patrick Harvie. As controversial as they are both George Galloway and Nigel Farage are well known faces with strong convictions, even if you don't agree with them.
    I'm a big fan of Ann Widdecombe, who is sadly no longer in the house of commons. She was something of a character and wasn't afraid to speak her mind. Annabelle Goldie (former Scottish tory leader) was similar.
    On the other hand David Cameron is a shiny-faced muppet, Ed Miliband is an anonymous clone and Nick Clegg is a spineless tea boy.
    I'm gonna say Boris Johnson as well. He gives the impression of being a blustering buffoon, but he actually seems to care about his electorate. The party leaders and other sycophants in parliament? Waste of fucking space.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk