Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meningitis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am creating this thread on behalf of Ella. Today is her beautiful daughters birthday, my goddaughter, but there is no child here to open presents or blow out candles. Isla is missed every single day, and Ella wants to make sure that as many people know about the awful disease that killed her as possible. Knowledge is the first step in the fight for a cure.

Meningitis can infect anyone, of any age. It is important to remember that not only babies and young people, but university students are in a high risk group especially living in halls. Under 5's, and 16-25 year olds are the two most at risk groups.

Most people know meningitis for the rash, but the rash does not always appear so please do not wait for it. If a person has other symptoms it is important to call an ambulance immediately.

Detailed symptoms can be found here: http://www.meningitisnow.org/meningitis-info/signs-and-symptoms/ but the main ones to remember are:
Fever, cold hands and feet
Vomiting
Drowsiness, difficultly being woken
Stiff neck
Dislike of bright lights
Blotchy skin
Fit/seizures

if you suspect a person has meningitis is it important to act fast and dial 999. The disease starts off initially like a cold, but develops into something dangerous very rapidly. It can be hard to spot the symptoms, especially in babies, so it is important to phone for medical help if you have any suspicions at all. If caught early, meningitis can be overcome.

There is a symptom app for Iphone and andriod that is free to download.

A major step forward has been made, in the form of a meningitis B vaccine which will be part of a babies immunisation programme. Information can be found here. However this is only one step on the long round to a cure, there are other types of meningitis and much more research needs to be done.

If anyone if doing charity fundraising this summer, I know it would mean the world to Ella if donations were made to meningitis now in Isla's name, no matter how much or little every single penny towards research helps. Anyone interested in raising money but not sure what to do, meningitis now are looking for people to join their cycling team in the London to Surrey ride in August. http://www.meningitisnow.org/fundraising/events/ride-london/

Happy Birthday Isla :heart:

Comments

• Options
    Happy birthday gorgeous girl :heart:
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Isla, and lots of hugs ella :heart:
  • Options
    Happy birthday Isla.

And thank you for creating ths thread.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Isla,

Thinking of both Isla, Ella and yourself today <3

Thank you for creating this thread, It's so important that awareness is raised about this deadly disease, I had a form of meningitis when I was younger and luckily I was transferred into hospital quickly and made a recovery but so many children, young people and adults don't make it and the more awareness that can be raised the better <3
  • Options
    Thank you, your replies mean a lot.

Thankful I have people helping me get through today.
  • Options
    Happy birthday beautiful Isla.

Ella - I love you. Your baby girl would be so proud of her mummy. Just like I'm proud of you xx