Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Coin in washing machine

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I took my clothes out of the washing machine and noticed a penny caught between the cylinder and the rubber around it. I tried to grab it but it fell inside.
Do you think I should call someone to open it up and remove the coin before using it again?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You tried rotating the cylinder and seeing if you can get it to drop out?
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Drop out of where? It fell below the cylinder.
    You can do it as a DIY job

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/remove-something-stuck-drum/

Depending on where the coin has ended up it may or may not cause any damage. If your machine is out of warranty there's nothing stopping you taking a look yourself. If it is in warranty it may be best to pay someone to do it so as not to void it.
    Thanks, but as it belongs to my landlady I'd rather not mess with it. Plus I'm not sure it's anywhere near the drum, when I pulled back the plastic it seemed to lead down into machinery. Guess I should tell her to call someone.
    There is another thing you could try. On the bottom right hand side at the front there will be a panel. Open that and you should see a black tube and a round dial/plug. Unplug the machine.

Hold a bowl and open the black tube (should be a clear plastic bung) over the bowl until the water is drained. Once it is drained turn the dial in whatever direction it says to open it. It is actually the filter and is user serviceable, if the coin has made its way that far you should see it.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Very unlikely to cause damage. The bottom of washing machines contain non moving parts. Usually just a concrete weight.
    Weekender Offender 
    I've read in newer machines, the inner drum is made of metal and the outer drum is now made of plastic. In older machines it was metal. There is a chance that a coin stuck between the 2 drums can crack the outer drum. In t'olden days weren t'a problem.
    There doesn't seem to be any sort of panel, unless it's behind a full-width plastic cover that's in the front. I gave it a few tugs and couldn't move it.
    Can't help you then I'm afraid. You've exhausted my google-fu!
    No worries, thanks for the help anyway.
    I found a video of someone opening up the machine (exact model) and there doesn't seem to be such a panel anyway. I should call someone.

Now... Do I just look for yellow pages or is there anything better? I don't think the machine is in warranty.
    To be honest, if its a rented property - I'd just carry on. Washing machines are pretty well designed to handle coins as the seals keep them out of the delicate bits and the filters catch them anywhere else.
    To be honest, if its a rented property - I'd just carry on. Washing machines are pretty well designed to handle coins as the seals keep them out of the delicate bits and the filters catch them anywhere else.

I was going to say this too - I bet so many people have accidentally left a coin in their pocket and put it in the washing machine. it must be such a common problem and you don't hear people saying how their machine has broke after one wash. sort of seems an overreaction to get out a engineer type guy - personally id wait and see how it goes. especially since you don't own it, if it goes wrong I'm pretty sure it would be your landlady's responsibility to fix it.
    I spoke to her and she said it's mine as it's not "wear and tear", which sounds reasonable.
    The seals are supposed to keep stuff out but this went under the seal. Unless you mean different seals? Thinking about it, wherever the coin went, water definitely goes too.
    I'm not worried it's already broken but that starting it with the coin there will break it, or maybe start a fire.
    Have you tried poking your finger into the gap it went into? If it's the rubber seal that goes around the drum near the door it's usually got a recess in it to catch stuff like this.

Any chance you can get us a photo of what you're talking about?

Getting a maintenance technician out for a coin in a washing machine seems a tad overkill.
    Getting a maintenance technician out for a coin in a washing machine seems a tad overkill.
    It does, but if it could cause a problem it's better than opening it myself, isn't it?

That's where it went. I don't think I can put my finger in there.
    Attachment not found.
    I thought it might have gone between the two bits of rubber that you've got your fingers on.

Have a hunt on t'interweb, and see if you can find out how to clear the filter - if that's a water drain point then it should go down to a filter which may well be where the offending coin is sitting.
    I couldn't find anything for this specific model. In some video (with a different machine) someone cleared the filter by opening a valve that was behind the plastic cover at the front, similarly to what Whowhere said. But I pulled back the plastic cover on this one and didn't find anything, only metal.
    If the filter is accessible it must be either under the entire front or on the back. But pulling the entire machine out of the wall (supposing I were strong enough to do it) might make pipes come off, and opening the front could be risky.
    It's your choice then. leave it, and maybe nothing will happen. Or the drum will crack. If the drum cracks you will need a new machine if the landlady is saying it's yours to do with what you want.
    Or go on trust a trader/rated people and get someone out to fix it.

You're looking at £200ish for a new machine or a fraction of that for a repair.
    I'd be less worried about the coin itself and more worried that something as large as a coin can somehow slip through the seal in the machine and disappear. This suggests that there's a fairly large hole that water could go down.
    The gap only leads to the outer drum. Your washing machine is 2 drums, a metal one spinning within a larger, plastic one. It is the larger drum that fills up with water. The rubber seal will stop most things falling through, but things do occasionally. A large object in the outer drum will either stay where it is and do nothing, get snagged and break something, or fall through a pipe and get caught in the drain filter.
    If I'm to call someone, any tips about where to find them?
    trustatrader.com
    ratedpeople.com