Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Running tips

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
Heya guys.

I have decided to start running, I just went for a run for about 30 minutes. I decided that it's gonna be good for my physical health and my mental health.

The only thing that I am worried about is I have tendonitis in my legs and sometimes even walking is painful. I am just wondering if any of the runners on here have any tips on best ways to get started, and also any tips to hopefully not destroy my legs.

I am hoping to stick with it, but unsure of things I need to know, like what stretches are good and the right pace to go etc..

Thank you in advance :)
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Comments

• *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Thank you meggles- I had a look it seems pretty cool.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I think listening to your body is an important one and making sure that if you do get injured, you take the time to heal as opposed to keep on pushing yourself and possibly making the problem worse.
    NHS Choices have some good info;
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-run.aspx
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx

enjoy!
    Thanks dude. I have only done 2 days. But I think its gonna be good for my mental health. Gives me a buzz. Just ache so much but other than that I am okay with it.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you stretching before and after running? You also need to ensure you're wearing proper kit. The trainers you wear for running, don't wear for anything else, such as normal day to day wear.
    Stretching- I did but wasn't sure I did the right ones cos it still hurts, but I looked at the websites that plugitin suggested before and gonna do those. :)
    I brought some supports for my knees when running and wore them last night and had no pain in my legs at all.

Gonna buy some insoles for my shoes. :)

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Have you considered just starting off with Brisk walking for an hour or so, for a few months, before going into running? It's best not to go in to running straight away if you're a new runner, as you're likely to end up achey! You could even go brisk walking with a friend, which can help keep you going. Do let us know how the running goes, and glad you've managed to get support for your knee's!
    Just thought id give a quick update. I have started on the couch to 5k program now. Which is a mix of running and walking. I did it yesterday and it helped cos it was both not just running. :)

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Awesome! How long did you go for?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well done!

See if there are any local clubs in your area. I did this and have found it helps a lot.
    **helen** wrote: »
    Awesome! How long did you go for?

The program is for 30 minutes. But its a combination of running and walking :)