Home Drink & Drugs


Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi, I have a brother who`s relationship has broken down through his alcoholism, last week he tried to kill himself by overdosing on medication, he promised he was ok and wouldn`t try it again, and would stop drinking, he came to stay with me, but has been drinking while I am at work, every night he breaks down n I try to help but nothing is changing, this weekend he looked after his two children while his ex was away but he had alcohol and is now threatening to hurt himself and his ex if she returns, how do I get him sectioned as I fear for him and his family


  • JamesJames Deactivated Posts: 1,706 Extreme Poster
    Hi Paul,

    I'm sorry to hear about your brother. It sounds like he's really struggling at the moment, which must be very hard on you too. He's lucky that he has you to look out for him and you're taking a really good step by asking for advice here :)

    We've got a short advice sheet on Living With A Drinker, which might be worth a read. There are also lots of other places that offer advice and support. You could call Drinkline on 0800 917 8282 - they should be able to walk you through your/your brother's options.

    If you'd like some more info about rehab services, you could try Rehab Online.

    Feel free to keep us posted :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It would be worth informing the police of the situation so that they can keep not only your brother safe but his ex too. They can take him to hospital if they deem he is a risk to himself. And from there he may get help for his drinking.

    He is very lucky to have you as a sister, looking out for him. It's no wonder you are concerned.

    How are you dealing with this all?

Sign In or Register to comment.