Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Have to see a Dietitian ??

AllieAllie Posts: 235 Trailblazer
Hi everyone.

I recently turned 19 and my mental health nurse said she has referred me to a Dietitian because of concerns from my other worker around eating.

Here is a bit about my eating in the past..
- When i was 16 i used to binge and purge. I still do that but on rare occassions.
- I eat very few calories a day
- I have gone on starve episodes which range from 2 days until a week and a half.

Concerns my worker has at my training centre.
- She says I have lost weight and its noticeable.
- She said the baggy clothes I wear dont really hide the weight I have lost.
- When im on residentials I dont eat at all, I refuse. Which led to me nearly passing out on a mountain walk where i had to have staff walk me back down as i was unsteady on my feet.
- Yesterday at training I was only on energy drinks, went rock climbing and then when I got back to the centre at about half 1 to do our paperwork my body felt weird and i felt dizzy, I asked if they had anything with sugar in and she brought me a cup of tea and a yoghurt and said i had to eat it and that it wasnt an option. I didnt eat it, instead when our session was over she left to take something upstairs and I headed out the door.
- I had to do a weekly food record of last week and she said it was concerning.

ive been told, going on my BMI that it's underweight.

So my nurse has referred me to a dietitian.. But i dont want to see one..

On my last 2 residentials a staff member sat with me until i agreed to eat something, I have another residential on Wednesday coming, when people talk to me about food and talk about my eating i get a voice inside my head screaming 'you dont understand' 'leave me alone' 'stop talking, im not going to eat anything'.. then my face gets very warm and sometimes i have a nervous laugh.. I have a habbit that when people ask me to eat I ignore what they have said or hide somewhere for a bit, but on residentials if i hide they always find me..

Today I have started on 'Weight Watchers' Soup.. So i can keep the fat and calorie intake low but others see that im eating even though they dont know its weight watchers..

I told my worker in training when i had a 1-1 session last Wednesday with her that I do it because its the one thing I can control, and she asked when it started.. I told her when i was 15 and a half when a family member tried to put something in my food and i refussed to eat anything in my house.. My head was saying 'Tell her you think your fat, and sometimes you do it as a way of self harm' but my mouth wont let it come out!! I cant picture myself just blurting it out..

Ive refussed to go to my last 2 ECG Appointments.. they know I get chest pains but it feels more sensitive now.. as in it its felt more sensitive the last few weeks.. is this normal or is it due to my eating??

Questions.
1. Do i have the right to refuse to see a dietitian?
2. Can they force me to see a Dietitian?
3. What do Dietitians do?
4. What can they do if I refuse?
5. How do I tell someone my reasons for doing it (I freeze up).
6. I feel like turning around and saying 'I dont need help from a dietitian' What could they say to that?
7. What happens in the first Dietitian appointment?

Thank you to whoever takes their time to read this, sorry its long! I really appreciate it though, my mind in going out of control worrying about this.. Reason im asking about refusing a Dietitian and what can happen is because i have been in a mental health unit before (No where to live and they had to keep me safe because of what i was doing to myself) I dont want to go back there!!

Sorry for the over-anxious descriptions.. Also suffer from Anxiety..

Kayden xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi KaydenK :wave:
    welldone for sharing your issues and feelings on the site. *hug*
    Diet and body image is a common issue for people of all ages and it can be an issue some people struggle with throughout their lives.
    It becomes a problem for many when Diet and exersize impacts on general health and wellbeing at which point help is needed to address issues .Its understandable your mental health nurse has concerns about you.
    She says I have lost weight and its noticeable.
    - She said the baggy clothes I wear dont really hide the weight I have lost.
    - When im on residentials I dont eat at all, I refuse. Which led to me nearly passing out
    When i was 16 i used to binge and purge. I still do that but on rare occassions.
    - I eat very few calories a day
    - I have gone on starve episodes which range from 2 days until a week and a half.

A balanced diet is essential for body and brain function .The site has some useful info on balanced diets
    http:// http://www.thesite.org/your-body/fitness-and-diet/a-balanced-diet-7455.html

You say you are feeling anxious about this refferal And you are unable to speak to workers 1-1about issues because your unable to express yourself how you would like.
    .Maybe writing down your thoughts as you have done on the site, by way of a letter could help,
    And getting all your thoughts and feelings down it may also help workers understand your fears better.
    This in turn could also help them to better understand whats going on for you,especially in:heart: expressing your concerns over the referral.
    :heart:
    Hope this helps
    jennaflower:heart: