Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

College Courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello,

So I've just applied for a 'Counselling Concepts' course, but was wonder. As the course starts next month, I turn 19 in March - would this mean I'd pay for the course, or because I start it in Jan, and it's only 10 weeks I'd get it for free?!

Also, if I do have to pat, I'm only claiming ESA, so would they help with payment some how?!

Thank you in advance:)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to check what it says on the college website. If your ESA is income based, the fees are generally waived and you may only need to pay a material / exam fee.
    I'm on ESA as I'm not able to work? Would that class it is income based?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There are two types. Income based is based on having little or no income and contributions based, which is based on the NI contributions you've made within the relevant tax years. It tells you on the letters DWP send you.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    It's best to talk to the college about it, during an open day at the finacial stand or something, (If you're aware of any coming up) I know out college here, will get students to pay for their education (Foundation course, etc.) When they are 19 when starting the course. But many college's consider external factors, and you could apply for bursarys and stuff to support you with your course. Do you have an interview with the college soon or do you just go in?
    I'm waiting for them to get back to be to see if I've been accepted on the course. So I'll ask once they've told me about it etc.

Going to college/university has never benefitted me. I am sure people that work in colleges get commission for each person that goes to university. Everyone is out to look after themselves these days...so many people out there trying to rip you off! Most of them don't care about you or your future, they just want to get as many people enrolled as they can
    Going to college/university has never benefitted me. I am sure people that work in colleges get commission for each person that goes to university. Everyone is out to look after themselves these days...so many people out there trying to rip you off! Most of them don't care about you or your future, they just want to get as many people enrolled as they can

It sounds like your experience has been petty negative theonethatgotaway :( I'm sorry to hear that you don't feel that the advice you received was genuine.

University certainly isn't for everyone and a good careers advisor will help you to identify your personal strengths and what path will work best for you as an individual. Some people find that going to uni is crucial in their personal development and in pursuing their chosen career, other people find they don't need to go to uni to get on with a job they'd like to do.

As someone who has done the concepts course that sophiepea was talking about I can certainly say that it benefitted me - it's a really good first step to get a sense of what counselling is all about if it's something you think you'd like to go on and do :)

This thread is from back in December - is this still something you're hoping to do at some point soph?
    Well I can't afford it anyway, but cos I help facilitate a mental health group, she's looking at getting me a job so in the near future I may be able to go onto the course I want to do x

Well I can't afford it anyway, but cos I help facilitate a mental health group, she's looking at getting me a job so in the near future I may be able to go onto the course I want to do x

That's great soph, keep us updated! :)
    I don't think 'good careers advisors' exist Jo. I had appointments with three different careers advisors a few years ago. None of them told me about university league tables, guardian or times newspapers, taster sessions or other things they are meant to know about. One of the advisors I had an appointment with had never seen a student loan application. As you say, university does not benefit everyone but they told me university benefits everyone. They are on commission
    Careers advice can be really hit and miss. It's not something that all colleges and unis seem to have quite cracked. My college careers advice was useless too but the careers centre at my uni was pretty good. For me, leagues tables, newspapers - didn't really come into it. I got the best insight from going to open days and talking to current students and people that had already been to uni, as well as people who hadn't.

The other side to uni is the social skills and life skills that you learn - these can be invaluable for some people. For example, learning to live independently and manage your own finances. Perhaps that's why a lot of people think uni is also beneficial. The flipside to that is going directly into work means you learn a whole bunch of other skills and potentially get a head start in some industries with plenty of time to climb the ladder.

What's your situation at the moment? Are you looking for work or studying or do you have a job? If you need some support with next steps we can chat about that here :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    I appreciate your help Jo but I'm disillusioned with discussing my future. I have wasted 10 years of my life because careers advisors were and are still not trained. I have difficulty in coping with sitting idle all day, I need to keep busy. If I were to turn to crime I would blame careers advisors for being so useless. They should be shut down. I will tell anyone I know never to trust careers advisors until I die. They will tell you anything to keep themselves in a job