Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Child/dog proofing the house

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My new assistance dog will be coming home with me for the first time after my training towards the end of the month. As he is an assistance dog he is very intelligent and I'm having to make sure that there nothing he could hurt himself on or chew or whatever. I also need to childproof the house for Mr Riot's little one when they come to stay.

I know I need to secure my medicine drawer and under the sink, and get a stairgate, any other suggestions? I also need to keep the cat food out of Riotdog's way but he's a small lab and can get up to a reasonable height. I'm making a cat tree so riotcat can get away from Riotdog if needed.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Clem's thread from a while back was pretty good
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Bubblewrap!
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Wrap the house or the child and dog in bubble wrap. ? : p
    I don't think you'll need to change much for the dog, assistance dogs are very well trained and unlikely to chew things. Just remember that things on the floor are more tempting to dogs, and generally if they are going to chew it'll be stuff in their space (by their bed, on the floor etc.) So tuck away shoes and things. A trained dog is not going to destroy things though, my dogs know what is their's and can be chewed and know what is off limits and they aren't specially trained. Don't worry too much :)

As for child proofing, just move things out of eye line. Place things on higher shelves or out of sight. I'm not a fan of cupboard locks etc but for some children they are necessary, just make sure there is a safe and comfortable place for him to play in and he'll be fine!
    You need those corner cushion things if you have something like a coffee table.
    I'm a little worried about cables and the dog - I'm guessing he shouldn't be too bad but the cat is becoming a terror for any of the cables for apple products (which are also some of the most expensive to replace!). Are cable covers worth it? Which kind are best?
    I don't know anyone with a dog who's chewed cables. Not beyond the realms of possibility but it wouldn't be high on my concern list. If it's an assistance dog then your best bet is probably to talk to the organisation who are providing it. Will they do a home visit?

My parents have a lab, who's adorable but a fiend for eating things. Shoes and socks are his particular favourite, so everything has to be kept out of his reach. Assistance dogs would probably be better trained though. The other thing to be aware of is that they can easily reach things on surfaces if they put their mind to it, so you need to not leave food etc out.

For kids - definitely don't get those socket guards. UK sockets are safer without them.

Personally I prefer keeping things out of reach rather than cupboard locks - but depends what your options are. Watch out for things that you may have usually left lying out that may be an issue with a kid - jewellery is the main one for that.
    They've done a house visit and asides from sorting out my garden so that Riotdog has a toileting area and the veg patch is off limits they said it all looked ok.

I need to make sure all of my medication is out of reach because it would be lethal to either of them (doesn't make me so inclined to take the stuff saying that). I could have a top drawer on my bedside table which is locked, that's the only sure fire way of stopping them getting to them, but bloody difficult to do!
    Sealed tupperware box in the top kitchen cupboard.
    Yeah but then I won't be able to get them! I'm only 5'1! :p
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Wrap the house or the child and dog in bubble wrap. ? : p

Child and dog! :P Much easier haha
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Yeah but then I won't be able to get them! I'm only 5'1! :p

Would you have somewhere you can put the boxes where child and dog aren't allowed to go? Even if it's a cupboard with a lock on it.
    I don't have any cupboards with locks right now, I could see if I could put a lock on my bedside table, alternatively it all goes in the bathroom cabinet but I'm not sure there's enough space.
    Surely even at 5'1" you can reach the upper kitchen cupboards?
    Not in my kitchen - I have to stand on a chair or get someone else to reach!
    Not in my kitchen - I have to stand on a chair or get someone else to reach!

same! :P but my mam got a step ladder so i could reach :P
    If you're that worried about your medicine being got to, then just get one of those metal cash tins. Stick your stuff in it and keep the key on you. Maybe make it rattley as well so if a kid does get hold of it you'll know. Just don't refer to it as your fun mystery box or anything.
    The cupboards don't need to be that high - just high enough to be out of the child's reach.
    I was thinking of putting stuff in my cash box but theres too much of the stuff to fit it in. I've been trying to get a first aid box that I can lock but these things seem to be impossible to buy!