Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Meeting/talking to people on long journeys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Does anyone ever talk to random people on long journeys whether its a long distance train journey or a flight? Some long journeys get very boring and I'm sure some people do this. What is the best way to go about this?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I sometimes have done, but you have to be careful as not everyone wants to engage in conversation with strangers.
  • Options
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I sometimes have done, but you have to be careful as not everyone wants to engage in conversation with strangers.

I suppose they'd make it clear if that was the case and I guess it's worth a try if you're really bored. Some long journeys are really boring.
  • Options
    I've definitely chatted to people on long flights before if I've been travelling on my own :) It usually starts with acknowledging them in some way - you could ask 'is this your first time visiting ... ?', if they say yes then you could ask what they recommend you see while you're there for example.

If someone puts their headphones in straight away, starts reading their book or avoids making eye contact then it may be that they're the sort of person that's not up for a chat and would rather be left alone. So there's something about being able to read body language a bit. You can usually tell if someone is friendly and up for a chat as they may well smile at you or make conversation first if you seem approachable.

I remember chatting to an old guy on the way back from Cyprus who was going to visit his daughter he hadn't seen for 10 years, he told me his whole life story! We also bonded over the fact the plane was freeeeezing cold.

It's a bit of luck who you're sat next to but I'd say it's worth a try :)
  • Options
    I am definitely the type of person who doesn't talk to strangers unless I really have to.
    I prefer keeping myself to myself.
    But most of my friends are the complete opposite and they can start conversation with a most people.
    I wonder if this is a confidence thing....?
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I love talking to strangers, for example when waiting for the bus, there tends to be lovely old ladies, who are always up for conversation, and the stories they come up with our amazing! I should totes make myself a log of their stories. But often those who don't really want to talk, will kinda give you the hint that they don't! However, I would often have family and stuff on really long journeys, so would end up talking to them, in comparison to anyone else!
  • Options
    I love chatting to strangers when I know they're going to be "stuck with me" a little while, where I used to be so shy knowing I can just begina conversation really empowers me even though it's just general chitchat. I know you need to excercise caution though, you never who you're talking to or what they're capable of it so keeping it basic is usually the safe way to go.
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    i do! whenever im on the boat on my own (it's a 14 hour journey) I always end up talking to strangers and they normally buy me drinks too haha
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''