Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shadowing at work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In my search for a new job I might want to do, I've thought about contacting potential employers and asking if I can do some work experience/volunteering/shadowing, if just for a couple of hours, so I can have a first hand view of what the job is really like.

I'm just wondering is you think something like this is possible? Do you think employers would be willing to agree to this, especially as I'm thinking of places like schools or hospitals, where they might not want somebody getting in the way.

What if I applied for a job vacancy and suggested it as part of the interview process?

If your own professions do you think your employers would be willing to bring something like this in, or would they only agree for potential candidates for a vacancy??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do it for school pupils and students occasionally - never been asked to do it for someone who's beyond that point. That said, if I was asked I'd probably say yes. Usually it would probably be done through a contact at the company rather than someone getting in touch cold.

When we were interviewing for new staff at the last site I worked at we gave them a site tour, and lunch with a few of the current staff as part of the interview day so they could get an idea of what the place was like. I get the impression that was relatively unusual though, and we were an unusual site.
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I've done voluntery work experiance in a nursery and they thought it was a great help, they even offered me a job there once it was over while i do the nessesary courses at college! :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''