Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Extra curricular activities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm curious. With all the work, how many a-Level and university students actually have time for extra curricular activities, which everyone is encouraged to get involved in? I particularly ask A2 students, year 2 and year 3 university students on science related courses, as these are known to be demanding courses, although of course all courses I'm sure are very demanding. How much time do you spend on extra curricular activities and how do you manage your time between it and your studies?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I did an engineering degree, and pretty much through it all was a Scout leader, member of a rowing club training 7ish times a week, on the committee of another society.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I'm an A2 Student, taking 3 Subjects, and I do, on the side, Guide Leader, Mencap volunteer, Badminton team, Basketball team, and part of college Football team. So, it's possible :heart: As well as going to the gym twice a week :) So, it's possible ;)
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I'm at college studying and i have time for work, the gym, 2 youth groups i help run and time to just chill :) It is possible! :)
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    It's all about time management in many cases. Recently I have found it quite hard to be motivated and do stuff, often blaming things on my impending redundancy causing me 'to be busy'. I got to a point where I realised that I'd spent an hour one night just messing around on the internet, that hour could easily have been used to do something far more constructive. People can often fall into the trap of not realising that all these little bits of time here and there can soon add up and you sometimes just need the motivation to get out and do something.
  • Options
    There's a saying, that if you want a job done - give it to a busy person. I think there's a fair Amount of truth in it. At uni I used to work on the logic study 8 hours, sleep 8 hours, and you've got 8 hours a day left. That was actual study 8 hours though, breaks came out f the spare 8 hours.
  • Options
    These stories are all really motivating for me to read as I'm only in my first year of college so its tough but I know its easier than a lot of people have it (workload wise), Regardless I dont want to give up my voluntary work or exercise; from these I guess it's all about working out what hours I have and planning ahead (something I've never been all that good at)
  • Options
    It's also about making the most of the time you have. You'd be amazed how many hours you can spend on Facebook, emails, whatsapp, YouTube etc.
  • Options
    Oh god yeah! haha I killed half a weekend just checking social networking sites and emails conscerning college... not good
  • Options
    According to various school teachers and university lecturers I've spoken to people who are more engaged in extra curricular activities tend to do better in exams.