Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

living with major depression, how can i help myself?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I've had depression for a really long time, I was under camhs then transferred to an adult mental health team, but my depression definitely isn't controlled.
I've spent time as an inpatient in a mental health unit and been under the 'crisis' team a couple of times.
I try lots of things to help myself but I still struggle with self harm and suicidal thoughts (I don't want to act on them)

So, I exercise everyday on a cross trainer I bought, and go for daily walks, I'm in the process of returning to work (after a physical illness), I get 8 hours sleep every night, I've been having psychotherapy for over a year and eat healthily

but nothing helps.

I don't know what I'm meant to do. I'm willing to try anything to improve things as I hate feeling this low all the time. I feel like it's all for nothing.

Please any suggestions are very welcome I'm at my wits end.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It sounds like you're doing a really good job of helping yourself, and you've got the basics well and truly nailed.

Is there anything you can think of that particularly helps?

Any hobby that you enjoy, that you find relaxing/distracting? There's a fair few folk on here who are well and truly into their knitting and find it a brilliant help. Personally if I can find playing music can really help if I'm feeling rough.
    Thanks, yeah I do knit, particularly when I'm trying to fight self harm thoughts and stuff, it helps a bit but to be honest just delays it rather than gets rid of it.

I really am trying to get better but it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    Are you on any anti-depressants to help? if not maybe visit your doctor about it, or if you are you can ask about getting them changed if they don't work :) It's good your trying all these things, keep sticking to the stuff that you love? Also have you heard of mood lamps i think it is? It's just a lamp with a VERY bright light, it's meant to help with depression and it works for me :) My dad got me on for cristmas and i use it nearly every day
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
    Yeah I've been on various medications for the last 3 years, but never found them overly helpful, other than the sleeping tablets which I've had for the last few months.