Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Using raspberry powder in a cake recipe

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm looking for a recipe which uses raspberry powder instead of fresh (more intense flavour than fresh) in a cake that's fairly fool proof but is also bloody yummy and a good celebration cake. I've made some searches and only found some crazy recipes (lots of raw food things too) which seem really complicated.

Has anyone used raspberry powder before? Got any ideas? Someone suggested using chambord as well but wouldn't that be flavour overload? Should I look at doing alternate layers, or a red velvet cake or something totally different?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Will ask Mrs Hellfire, She's a culinary master at things like this.

ETA: She seems to think you can just add the Raspberry powder with the flower and it'll make a Raspberry cake. Basic sponge recipe with the powder added and drop of milk if it is too thick.

Test it with a small batch of cupcakes first as a sampler ;)
    From Mrs Hellfire.

You said you wanted simple.
    Recipe is per each egg 1/4 cup butter, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour then baking powder, vanilla essence and a drop of milk. So 3 eggs would be 3/4 cup butter, 1 cup caster sugar and 1 & 1/2 flour.

Bake at 170 degrees Celsius until a skewer or knife comes out clean when you stick it in

That's the recipe that I use with the kiddies at school and it hasn't failed yet and that's with 5 year olds making it

Can add a tablespoon of olive oil as well. Stops it drying out in the oven
    Would that be enough to make two sandwich tins worth? Great that gives me something to start with! Anyone's views on using alcohol in cakes? Like a little liqueur? Yay or neigh? Also, should I do a big cake and cut it or do sandwich tins to get layers?
    Well no, basically that recipe is for 1 egg, if you use 4 eggs you'll use four times etc.

I have no idea how much that makes.

As for Alcohol if you're using the Raspberry I think a alcohol liqueur would be a bit much, but maybe use it in an icing for the filling rather than the cake itself?

Go speak to Mrs Hellfire ;)
    I shall go speak to her, once I've got off hold from Scottish power (been on hold for half an hour already!!)