Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interpreting my contract - Sick Pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so my contract with my current job is quite vague in regards to sick pay and simply states this.

"Sickness of 30 continuous days is paid in full and thereafter moved over to SSP"

However it doesn't say "Up to" but can I assume that would also mean if I am off for 2/3 days I can expect full pay?

Comments

• Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Hellfire

That does sound unhelpfully vague!

ACAS have a free helpline for advice on workplace rights - you can call them on 08457 47 47 47 (Monday-Friday 8am-8pm and Saturday 9am-1pm) and they should be able to help.

Your local CAB can also help if you need.

It's helpful if you get Contractual Sick Pay for the first few days, as SSP is only payable from day 4.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To me that reads as if you're off for 2/3 days then you'll get full pay, it's only once you've been off for more than a month that you'll get moved onto SSP.

Only grey area might be if you head towards 30 days off sick in the year, although I'm guessing by the fact you're having to ask this question that you've not had time off sick previously.
    This means you would get full pay until you have more than 30 consecutive days off on sick.
    That is exactly how I read it, Thanks Mist & SM

I had a long discussion today, the declined to pay it at first saying I had to have 3 days off unpaid before I receive anything (I had 2 days off) After I explained it does not state that on the contract they said yes but it's the law (they're getting SSP and their on private company sick pay policy mixed up)

Basically after a long discussion they agreed I was right and they WILL pay it. However they want to change my Contract in April and remove it and put it back to SSP only. It was (as I thought) added by error and should not be on my contract.

This is perfect as I will hopefully have a new job I want to start in April I will use this as a termination of my current contract and thus leave without serving notice (at present I was planning on using other breaches in my contract to not work my notice)
    Ah ha.

I did wonder why you were asking. You're right, SSP only kicks in after a few days - but if they're dim enough to have put that they'll pay you normally for a certain time period then they're committed to doing that.

Seems to vary hugely between employers as to what if any sick pay you get above the minimum. My current job is very generous, previous ones I've had were SSP only and zero hours contracts.
    Yeah, I believe it was added mistakenly, no way should it be in there. He'll they dropped the salary by 3500 less than I promised. Hence my leaving.

Thanks anyway

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    Regardless of how you feel, I wouldn't go without serving your notice unless it's unreasonably long. You may need them as a reference or to prove you haven't got any employment gaps, which you won't do if they are contacted by a new employer and refuse to answer or give you a shitty reference.
    "What he said". Seriously reconsider just walking out, even if you were to politicise it by claiming some form of contract breach, it wouldn't look good. Also, burning bridges, etc.
    Thanks guys and I completely agree, I wasn't planning on walking out completely but I am planning on working reduced notice but I believe I can come to a good solution for both myself and my employer.

However the new job is a complete career changer for me and is a career (not a job) and as they need someone ASAP I need to look forward.

I am not planning on burning all my bridges, I have many other places to fall back on before ever return to this illegal cess pit of an employer.