Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Running Etiquette

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've been running twice a week since June, and have managed (miraculously) to never need over-taking another runner. However, today I was behind a person who was running slower than I was. I wanted to stick to my target of 25 minutes, and I was not socially awkward enough to run behind him at his pace for the rest of the run. I was, however, awkward enough to detour around him by running behind the treeline and get very muddy and lost and ended up pretty much in front of him.

So after that verbal diarrhoea, is there a particular piece of unspoken etiquette when running behind someone slower?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I believe the socially acceptable move is to shout "boo" and then leapfrog said slow person.
    As a slow runner, I'm fine with people overtaking. Even if they have to say, "excuse me" to pass. I understand your anxiety about offending people but really it's fine.
    piccolo wrote: »
    As a slow runner, I'm fine with people overtaking. Even if they have to say, "excuse me" to pass. I understand your anxiety about offending people but really it's fine.

Same. I tend to overtake slower runners too. Quite annoying having to slow my pace right down because of them.
    As long as the slow runner doesn't get angry or break down in tears (as I would), then I shall overtake...
    Mist wrote: »
    I believe the socially acceptable move is to shout "boo" and then leapfrog said slow person.

I haven't seen this myself, but it sounds fun.
    I onve got shouted at for not moving. There was nowhere for me to go. Idiot.
    If it's that narrow to the point where there is no conceivable way nobody can pass, I tend to avoid as it's problematic if someone is coming towards you, they would not be able to pass either.
    It was during a race.
    Usually (as a slower runner) I prefer someone to tell me they're behind me. If they say "On your left" I have no problem sticking to the side and letting them pass. I'm sure the other turtle runners of the world agree with me!
    Passing someone isn't a big deal, they'd much rather you do that than you tail-gate them.