Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anti-inflammatory tablets.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys,

Just a quick question, if you know.

I have some anti-inflammatory tablets that I 'have to take with food'.

No thanks. They're totally fine for me to take on an empty stomach aren't they? I'm sure the worse that could happen is a little bit of stomach pain? I can live with that as I have my hot water bottle.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They're not 'totally fine' on an empty stomach. You need to have eaten something to protect your stomach.
    I know they're not literally 'totally fine' on an empty stomach, I didn't word that right.

I can just about cope with pain in my stomach, but does anyone know if that's all that will happen? Just pain?
    What's wrong with eating something with them? Even drinking a glass of milk will be fine. It says to take with food because it protects against side effects, like nausea, stomach irritation/ulcers etc. It depends on the medication but you should follow the instructions. Why don't you want to eat when taking them?
    why don't you just do what the label says instead of causing yourself more pain? it's not totally fine to take them on an empty stomach or they wouldn't put it on there, they don't put medical advice on there just for a laugh. even if you eat very little you must eat something during the day for you to take them with.
    I know it's not totally fine to take them on an empty stomach!

I'm not just choosing to go against the instructions, I'm not choosing to be like this. I asked if it is just pain that I would get, and I said if anyone knows. If you don't then that's fine, nobody is forcing you to reply.
    Temporary pain isn't the only thing you'll get.

It's important to take anti inflammatorys with food as they have the potential to cause damage to your stomach lining, and cause ulcers. If you are a very rare user, e.g. Only take the odd dose once a month or so then it's not likely to be too much of an issue, if you've got no other problems. If you're taking them for several days, or regularly then the chance of doing damage to your stomach lining is much higher.

Pretty much any food will do, so you can line them up with regular meals, or fruit, biscuits.
    Pretty much what Scary said.

Are you taking ones prescribed by your doctor / have you let them know how many you're needing to take? Just because if you need to take anti-inflammatories regularly for a long period of time then they may be able to prescribe you ones that are either kinder to your stomach or some people also get a tablet to take with them that help protect it.
    I used to take them once or twice a day and I developed ulcers because I wasn't eating with them, and it's a scary experience and not just painful but potentially life threatening if they're not treated!