Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

self harm alternitives

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i have been self harming for 4 years. i am trying my best to stop. people keep telling me use other coping methods.. but what are these? i have BPD too which complicates things more. i find it difficult to control my emotion and understand them. can anyone help?

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there BlackStar,

Welcome to TheSite.org message boards, it was great to see you involved in the thread discussion earlier, TheSite.org have an amazing article on coping tips and distractions, that suggest a few you could try if you wanted to! Have you ever been offered support for your BPD and self harm in the past? :)

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey blackstar - well done for reaching out about this. Coping methods are about finding ways to cope in the moment when you're dealing with an urge to harm yourself. For some people distractions can work really well like calling a friend, getting some fresh air, listening to music etc. For others, replacing the act of harm with something else like pinging an elastic band or punching a pillow can be a good way to release the emotion in a safe way.

It's very personal and I guess it's about finding something that works for you.

Have you heard of TESS - they have some useful online self-help tools specifically for self harm: http://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/self-injury-self-help-ideas

Are you getting any professional support at the moment?

Hope to hear from you again :)