Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Supporting a friend - feeling helpless

*BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
I have a question, but not sure it's even to do with this..

I have a friend who struggles with her mental health, and so do I, but I feel like I need to be there for her more cos she has been through lots of things, When I talk to her and I can't help her I feel useless and get bad thoughts myself, I don't know what to do..
" And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
" So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
'' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey BananaMonkey - I've moved your post into a thread of its own so that you can get some ongoing support with this :)

It sounds like you're doing your best to support your friend but you wish you could do more and it leaves you feeling bad?

It can sometimes help to remember that we all have a limit to what we can do for our friends and being there to listen and be someone that your friend can confide in is actually 'doing' a great deal so you should be proud of that :yes:

Does your friend have other support networks apart from friends - for example family or professionals?
  • Options
    Thanks Jo

Aye she has professional support,

I guess I just feel like I "need" to help her.
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there BananaMonkey

Supporting a friend with mental health issues can be rather difficult, as well as a massive strain on yourself, however, you need to look after yourself. It's kinda the old saying off "You can't look after someone else, unless you look after yourself." I've been in your position, and it can be difficult when a friend become reliant on you. However, you shouldn't have to deal with the pressure off it all, but you sound like quite an amazing friend to her, so I'm glad you're able to reach out to one and another!

You also mentioned you think you 'Need' to help her? As though you think it isn't optional, would you be able to tell us a bit more about why you feel that way? It's really your choice what support you offer someone, however, it might be about allowing yourself to take a break from the friend to, as difficult as that is, but again, you need to remember to look after yourself,

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    Sometimes, the best thing is just to be there and talk, instead of really doing anything else.
  • Options
    Hypocritical, but I just wanted to drop in and highlight this:
    Aye she has professional support.

What kind of professional support does your friend get? It's great that she has any at all so please try not to feel you have to support her on your own while she has this professional support to engage with.

*hug*
  • Options
    She has a social worker and a psychiatrist.

I just feel like I need to be there for her to help her and support her, she is a good friend, and she trusts me.