Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Ideas for bonding activities with your bf/gf

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I'm new here and would love to hear any suggestions for things to do with my boyfriend when we're together.

Bit of background information, we're both students, I'm at the end of my 3rd year and very stressed! He's in his 2nd year and less stressed. We're both on fairly tight budgets, can't afford to go to the cinema or out very often. Also, we're 2 hours apart by train, so we only see each other twice a month - but for about four days each time.

At the moment we watch loads of Netflix, he plays computer games and we sleep a lot! We often walk around the cities that we live in and window-shop, and if we go to his family home then we take his dog on big walks. Generally our time together is dominated by things that he likes: his music is playing all the time, the tv series that he's watching etc.

Can anyone suggest simple, cheap things that we can do together, to make it feel more balanced and like we're a team, rather than feeling like I'm just tagging along to the things that he likes so much? Maybe learning a skill together could be an idea?

p.s. our sex life is fine, I know that is an easy cheap bonding activity, I'm really looking for things that are outside of the bed and house! :)

Comments

• PGreenPGreen Posts: 175 Helping Hand
    Hey melegance

TheSite has an article on date ideas that might spark some inspiration.

I have also heard of couples who each individually write down a number of date ideas that they really like the sound of (these could be silly, small or places to visit) and then pick them at random from a jar when you visit one another. This could be an idea that helps to make date night fairer and adds a fun and spontaneous element :)

I really like your idea of learning something together, there are tons of free/cheap workshops and taster sessions out there. You could also consider volunteering somewhere together.

x
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried looking at the what's on for the places you are? There's often surprising stuff on there.
    I used to make up an adventures - around town looking for things to take photos of or paint or do silly things like collecting odd things you find - a flower, a bottle top, small things, looking for things to put in scrap book of your relationship. There's often local free exhibitions and museums to go to as well. As the weather gets better you could think about picnics or a day at the beach or something like that?
    Thank you for the replies, they're good ideas :) I had a look at that link too, thanks!
    The only thing which seems a bit odd to me is the fact that you two always do what HE likes. Maybe you should show him some things that you like?
    Feeding the ducks together is one of my favorite activities, by the way :)
    sex?
    I know, always doing what he wants to do is getting to me a bit. This might sound like a cop out, but I have been so focused on my uni work for so long that I'm struggling to even remember what free time is, and what I like to do with it! I'm going to get some ideas together and make them happen when we're next together :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    melegance wrote: »
    I know, always doing what he wants to do is getting to me a bit. This might sound like a cop out, but I have been so focused on my uni work for so long that I'm struggling to even remember what free time is, and what I like to do with it! I'm going to get some ideas together and make them happen when we're next together :)

Sounds great, we'd love to hear what you come up with :)