Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self harm relapse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
**helen** wrote: »
The show has started on R1 - Rachel from selfharm.co.uk has just been introduced and our guys here are ready for your questions :)

Hi, i have self harmed for 8 years and i am beginning to go of prozac, i see a therapist too. I stopped selfharming for quite a while but recently i have gone back to my old ways, i tried to overdose after my psychiatric appointment, i was too scarred to tell anyone. Im scared to tell my therapist, i dont know what to do.

Comments

• Options
    Hi samantha,

I've moved your post into a thread of it's own as our experts are focusing on coping tips and distractions tonight. You can get support here though from our community and first off you might find our article on relapse useful to read:http://www.thesite.org/mental-health/self-harm/having-a-self-harm-relapse-5684.html

Do you know what might have happened to lead to this relapse?

Big hugs *hug*
  • Options
    i dont know.. i strangley missed selfharming. i have been through alot, and at night my mind gets bombarded with flash backs of abuse, heartbreaks and everything. This happens in the day time too. sometimes its too hard to ignore it. I just decided that i havent done it in ages and for some reason i thought i should be able to do it again as i havent done it in a while. But i cant stop now.
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey there Samantha,

It sounds like you have an awful lot going on for you at the moment, and I can only imagine the difficulty of it all, however, you've taken an amazing step by reaching out to support on here, and to your therapist. You mentioned not being able to open up about the overdose to your therapist, would you be able to tell us a bit about what had stopped you? Even if it was via writing it down, as I know speaking can be rather overwhelming at times!

Often when we find a coping strategy that's worked in the past, it's difficult not turning back, as unhealthy as that behaviour is, it's about fighting the urge really, by using distractions that might help, like, calling a friend, etc. Or even texting your therapist? Is prozac helping at all? Have you opened up to your therapist about the flashbacks? :) - And how to cope in the moment? Once again, massive prompts on reaching out, do keep us updated :heart:

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    i didnt go through with the overdose, i was going to take it and someone walked pass me and asked if i was ok and from then it made me realize that theres good people out there and i went home. I brought everything for the overdose before i saw my psychiatrist, i wanted to tell him but i was scared that my dad would find out and i will be taken to a and e, i also want him to think im doing well and im not getting worse.
    i was going to call my friend but my battery ran out and i thought about going into the gp but i was too scarred.
    Prozac has helped but im trying to go off it, everyone wants me to go off it and im nervous about how i will cope, but i know i can go back on it but they are encouraging me to go off it completly. i try to tell my therapist but she avoids the confersation about my flashbacks.x
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hello again Samantha,

I'm glad someone reached out to you, it can be strange seeing the good side when were feeling low! It can be worrying telling your psychologist about things surrounding this, but there really there to keep you safe, and with me, if I handed over what I bought, I wouldn't of needed to go to A&E etc. But that varies on how much danger you're in. However, for recovery, you need to be honest to people like your Psychologist, to get the right support you deserve, and allow yourself to explore it. Is your dad aware of your mental health issues?

I'm glad you were considering going to your GP, were you worried about your dad finding out again? :) - It can be difficult coming off medication, but it's about taking it at your pace really, and you wouldn't come off it altogether, but rather gradually instead. Often therapists like to focus on the more what they encounter as serious issues, like 'Self harm' 'Suicide' which can be frustrating, maybe it's worth discussing with your therapist, that flashbacks is something you want help with, and want to be able to talk to her?

What's your relationship like with your therapist? :)

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart