Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Self harm awareness day: Experts online from 9-10pm to answer your questions

124»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not said anything tonight but have definitely been keeping up and just wanted to say thank you for the amazing advice from Shaun and Lindsey.

Gotta second 'nana too, and say Jo and Helen, you are both amazing :heart:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Just to let you know there will be a couple more replies from Shaun and Lindsey then we'll be closing this thread for this evening - but that doesn't mean you have to stop posting - the health & wellbeing forum is here to share with peers - we'll also have our mods online during the week to offer more in-depth support and a live chat tomorrow night 8-10pm with our friend Kat from Young Minds online to provide further support. That will take place in our chat room: http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat

During the week, there is also a good text and email service called TESS that you might find helpful:
    http://www.selfinjurysupport.org.uk/tess-text-and-email-support-service

And of course the wonderful Alumina over at selfharm.co.uk - http://alumina.selfharm.co.uk/

*hug* all round.
  • Options
    Great to see so many new people here tonight bravely reaching out - big hugs all round *hug*
  • Options
    Hey there Shaun and Lindsay, it's great to see you on the TS boards! Looking forward to reading your posts! Just wanted to respond to the above myself, and have my question follow it!

It's difficult to stop self harming, straight away, and part of recovery is relapses, which can often make us feel like failure, but I know for a fact, that's not true, you've taken steps to want to recover, and you will, however, stopping alone can be exceptionally difficult, do you currently have any support around you that you could potentially reach out to? For example your doctor? But with self harm, it's really about taking it one step at a time!

I've found with self harm, I won't stop, unless I'm determined to recover from it, but I'm not sure how to cope it moments where things get neurotic? I tend to use self soothing, but it varies on my frame of mind, etc. Allowing myself to calm down just won't get me anywhere! What do you suggest? :) If you get where I'm coming from? Just wondering, are we aloud to offer support to each otherrr? Silly question moment? :P

Thanks Whispersoftheheart,

It's been great to see your activity on here. Feel free to encourage other people :-)

I'd agree you with. Stopping without any support can be extremely difficult and it's really important to find a positive support network.

Making the decision to stop self-harming is the biggest step. There will be a moment when it's very difficult and you might feel the need to self-harm but maybe you could create a self-harm distraction box. This can contain anything that might distract you from harming such as an iPod with your favourite relaxing tunes on it, a sketchbook (if you the arty type), pictures, diary etc etc.

Hopefully this has helped in some way, keep going. You're doing great :-)
  • Options
    *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    Not said anything tonight but have definitely been keeping up and just wanted to say thank you for the amazing advice from Shaun and Lindsey.

Gotta second 'nana too, and say Jo and Helen, you are both amazing :heart:

And your support to me has been amazing butterfly :) so thank you
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • Options
    chloe234 wrote: »
    i self harm because i feel like my family dont like me we argue everyday and dont feel its normal my brothers hit me hard and i dont know what to do about it i have only told one person about this and i need some advice on how to stop self harming the last time i done it was last week. im 14 and i sarted last year.

Hi chloe234, It sounds like you're finding things really difficult with your family at the moment. It sounds like these arguments upset you and you're right it's not OK for your brothers to hit you. I'm not sure whether you've felt able to talk to anyone in your family about how upset this makes you feel. Maybe if you did feel able to you could try thinking together about how things could change to make everyone feel a bit happier at home. It might also be something to talk to your parents or carers about your brothers hitting you to ask them to help you to get this to stop. Please remember if there are any times when you feel in danger from them you can call 999 to get some immediate help from the police.

It sounds too like you're wanting to find different ways to self-harm to cope with how you're feeling. It might help to talk to someone like a ChildLine Counsellor about it. You can do that on 0800 1111 (all calls are free and don't show up on the bill) or by using the 1-2-1 chat on the ChildLine website - www.childline.org.uk. Also on the website there are lots of tips and ideas on alternatives to self-harm when you're finding it hard to cope. Different things work for different people, but some ideas are writing down or drawing how you're feeling, going for run, spending time with friends or listening to music, can be helpful.
  • Options
    Thank you x
  • Options
    rseddon wrote: »
    I'm 21 and I used to self harm it got so bad for me that I ended up being sectioned by it. when I first told people they thought I was just attention seeking but after 4 years of being in hospital and intensive therapy I have stopped. but I myself as a person do believe that mental health needs to be in the national education curriculum as we teach children about physical education sexual education so why not about mental health.

I used to self harm because I was being bullied and it got to me so much. I still have feelings of self harming every day but I can finally over haul these by keeping my mind busy and having a locked cupboard. in this cupboard I keep all my self harm implements in the box and my family and friends are very supportive and I now support people who are going through the same situations

Thanks rseddon,

It's amazing that you have a supportive network around you. All i can suggest is to keep talking to the amazing people around you and keep looking ahead at the dream's you'd like to achieve.

I hope this has helped.

Keep going :-)
This discussion has been closed.