Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where to go from here?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi.

I've been working for a company for almost a year. The contract I was on was due to expire at the end of march but an opportunity for a new position opened up in January which was given to me. Its a one year contract.

The thing is, There are a lot of redundancies being made at various offices at the moment so I'm kind of concerned about my job security at the moment.

Would it be a better idea to just carry on with the job or enhance my skills through courses and hunt for a new job?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    You will most likely be given some kind of redundancy pay if you've been there for more than a year so I would stay put until you know if that's likely or not and I'd still stay on until you actually get laid off and then go from there
  • Options
    Danny!Danny! Deactivated Posts: 560 Incredible Poster
    Hi Akuma

It is worrying not to feel that your job's secure. As they just gave you a new contract, it does sound as though they expect your job to exist to last for as year.

It's worth checking out your contract to see if it includes anything about redundancy pay. The CAB have a useful page which explains how redundancy pay works here.

There's never any harm in looking at more training or education if that improves your chances of looking for work in the future. And it can help make the situation less concerning if you know you're working towards an alternative if you need it. Maybe you could ask if there's any budget at your current work to give you some related training?
  • Options
    You need to go in India or Nepal