Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Temporary Workers and Equal Pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I'm working as a temp on minimum wage. I've been at my job since october and I've read and been told that after 12 weeks I'm meant to get equal pay to everyone else in the same job? I'm sure there must be some kind of loophole that my agency are getting away with this. But are there any clued up people here that can clarify?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey Ballerina :wave:

You've heard right! Check out our article on temp work , it says:
    After 12 weeks in the same role, you’ll also be entitled to the same pay, holiday leave and rest breaks as those employed directly by the firm doing a similar job, and you should be treated the same way when it comes to working time and night work.

The key to gaining access to these rights is finding someone in your workplace who is doing a similar job and this can be tricky, says Leon Walton, conciliator at Acas. “If you were employed as a car mechanic through an agency and you found somebody else who was employed by the company as a car mechanic then it would be easy to find a comparator. Where the problem comes in is if you were the only person who did that role.”

So it sounds like your first step is to find someone in the same role as you. The article goes on to explain:
    The best thing to do first is raise the issue with your line manager. Try directing them to Business Link, a government website which outlines their responsibilities, if you think they’re unaware of your rights.

If that doesn’t have the desired effect, talk to your agency and if necessary file a grievance with them. If both these steps fail, it may be time to consider taking your case to an Employment Tribunal. However, it’s worth seeking some free advice from Citizens Advice or Acas first as they may be able to help you resolve the situation more amicably.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :)