Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

keeping up with required reading

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've just started my MA, and I'm really struggling to keep up with the amount of required reading - I've got around 30 sources to look at within a 2 week period, most of which are at least 20 pages long. I've been trying to teach myself speed reading but its not really been helping me because I'm not absorbing the information, and I need to take notes as I go along. I'm meant to be doing this part time, and I'm finding that if i was actually managing to do all of the required reading and then my own research as well I'd be doing a hell of a lot more hours that I can actually give the course (mainly because I need to sleep and look after my health). I've tried to speak to my tutor and he was seriously unhelpful. I'm waiting for my DSA report to come through (which should have turned up already really), and I'm hopefully going to be given some screen reading software which will speed things up hugely, but most of the reading is of scanned in excerpt of books, which often aren't that clear - surely the software isn't going to be able to read those?

I'm going to call my disabilities officer tomorrow anyway, but any other suggestions on what I can do? Dyslexia really is a shit at times! :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What operating system are you using? All should have basic screen reader software already installed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mac OS X 10.9.1

But surely thats not going to read scanned text on a PDF?