Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Careers advisors

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Guys...don't ever trust these so called 'experts', they have ruined my life. :banghead:

Careers advisors never told me about league tables, occupation questionnaires, taster sessions, the best papers to research universities, syllabus that each degree/course has, the NSS, Youtube or given any guidance about anything that might benefit my career.

I have recently discovered that careers advisors are untouchable by lawyers so don't ever put your career/future in the hands of these people. Talk to people on youtube or whatuni if you need advice. You have been warned!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm sorry you had a rough experience, but many careers advisers are professional and expert, and do fantastic work; I know many working in Higher Education and they are committed and knowledgeable.

Add for being "untouchable by lawyers", no one is untouchable, perhaps there is no case to answer?
    It's okay apologising but they have ruined my career/life. 'Professional and expert', don't make me laugh. I have proved these people incompetent more than once. 18 months ago I visited my local careers centre just to see if they are as incompetent today as they were with me. The careers centre manager tried convincing me that the training that careers advisors get has improved. What she did not know was that the week before I visited the one of her colleagues and posed as a future university student. They never told me about any of the things listed above. If I had not told them about whatuni.com 18 months ago none of them would know about it today. Okay, to be exact 95% of lawyers WILL NOT prosecute careers advisors. I have just had a reply for the prime minister stating that they are looking at downsizing the National Careers Service by 80%. In its place will be a peer to peer advice system, saving the tax payer millions. Is it surprising that this country has so many recividists

University league tables were launched over 20 years ago, so why was I not told about them by these 'experts'?
    Careers advisors are just what they say on the tin.

Advisors. They're not dictating what choices you make, just a service to try and offer some additional insight.

University league tables are fraught with issues, and very well known about so it doesn't massively surprise me that they didn't direct you to look at those and only those.

Whatuni.com is a single website. It's not necessarily any better or any worse than any other source of information about university choices - so again, is it really a surprise that a generalist careers advisor didn't tell direct you to it.

You say that they've ruined your life - which is a fairly major assertion to be making. What in particular has made you feel like that?
    I cannot believe that no research has ever been done by OFSTED, The National Careers Service or The Government regarding the regrets that people have with their careers. They should be shut down for all the good they do
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey,
    I'd be interesting in hearing a bit more in response to Scary's question?

I can see how it's frustrating to feel as if you're not equipped with all the necessary knowledge such as uni league tables etc - especially if you feel you were lacking guidance from other areas and put all your hopes on the careers advisors.

Looking beyond that personal experience, what other advice would you give to young people starting out?

For me, an obvious suggestion would be: get in the habit of reading education supplements in newspapers - they have all the info you need on league tables, as well as articles with advice about next steps and unique opportunities such as scholarships you can apply for.
    Careers advisors are just what they say on the tin.

Advisors. They're not dictating what choices you make, just a service to try and offer some additional insight.

University league tables are fraught with issues, and very well known about so it doesn't massively surprise me that they didn't direct you to look at those and only those.

Whatuni.com is a single website. It's not necessarily any better or any worse than any other source of information about university choices - so again, is it really a surprise that a generalist careers advisor didn't tell direct you to it.

You say that they've ruined your life - which is a fairly major assertion to be making. What in particular has made you feel like that?

This. What they said isnt gospel, theyre there to offer the best help they can. If you follow their advice and it turns out wrong, they cant really be to blame
    Helen,
    Just look at lexis response. She says careers advisors cannot be held responsible for being incompetent and ruining peoples' lives. I was naive and placed all my trust in people that I thought were experts. One of the advisors that I see had never seen a student loan application.

The only advice I have really is keep an open mind and do your research. Whatever career you are considering research the occupation itself. Speak to people currently working in that occupation and learn from them. I cannot believe that some people enrol on courses without looking at the syllabus.

Here is a list of things students should consider: Studying abroad, finance, gap years, funding/grants, your health, bursaries, studying environment, what your strengths are, work placements, studying full or part time, the degree calculation, degree assessments etc.

Research methods: Youtube, whatuni.com, friends on social networking, thesite, forums, guardian or the times, The good university guide etc
    If a video on youtube needs 'uploader approval' ask yourself why!

By degree assessments I mean that if someone is better at written assignments deadlines they might prefer to not to sit an exam based course, especially if their grade is 100% exam based. Also, don't ever study a course where 70% of the degree is pass/fail.

Remember guys, universities want you just as much as you want them. Some universities just want as many students enrolled as possible, they don't care about you or your future.