Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

is it possible to hide away depression?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 14 and 99.9% certain that I have depression. Thing is im not as depressed as I used to be. I've stopped self harming, 3/4 of a year now I think, and my high moments are a lot happier. But my down moments are hell.
I end up screaming and shouting and nobody understands why. Neither do I really.
I was wondering if it is possible that by stopping self harming I've started to get over my depression a little, or whether it is just making other parts more drastic.
I've been sleeping a lot less, I'm ill most of the time and not eating much. I'm pretty sure I've had depression ever since my dad left(i was 9, and it was a very hard time) so I never have really had a social life so I can't really be missing out on activities. Help?

Comments

• Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey LostAngel,

It's best not to diagnose yourself, as it can have an massive impact on how you treat yourself, and feel. Have you considered getting a diagnosis for depression? :) - As mental health can cover a variety of illness's that could explain the way you feel at the moment. Well done on being able to stop self harming, that's an amazing step you've taken. Often, when we remove a coping strategy we become realint on, it can effect us emotionally, as you haven't replaced it with positive coping strategies, and ways to manage in the moment of things, for example, mindful breathing?

Often, the amount you sleep, and eat can also have an emotional impact on how you're feeling, and it's about getting the eating to a healthy level, and slowly setting yourself times to sleep, and wake, do you know what's getting in the way of you sleeping? You also mentioned not having a social life, have you thought about getting yourself more involved in things, for example, a Youth Club, or even Guides, as a young leader, etc? :)

Best wishes,
    WhispersOfTheHeart
  • Options
    I just wanted to drop in and offer hugs *hug*

Self harm is usually a way of coping with something, so by stopping self harming it's not usually a way to help you 'get over' the way you're feeling. Maybe it's because you want to feel better? It's an amazing step and you should be proud of yourself :yes:

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I don't really want to talk to my Mum about it. My dad, who I don't see anymore, has mental health issues and so it's not exactly a comfortable subject. Also I don't always get on with my family that well. I am exactly like my dad, and have been told this by a lot of people.
    I don't know why I don't sleep much. I guess I like being by myself and I don't get any time to myself in the day and so I can just sit and be quit instead of sleeping. Also, I always feel sick but still have to eat because do don't want my Mum to worry.
    I got shouted at by a girl at school today after talking privately to my friend about why I looked upset. I was telling her how I haven't been feeling myself recently, and then this girl comes up to me and has a huge go at me telling me that I can feel depressed unless I'm medically diagnosed, bearing in mind I hadn't even said that I had felt depressed. Then in PE her and her friends where gossiping about me and I sat out because I didn't want to start crying whilst playing netball. They called me lazy and fat, I was already crying when they said this. My supply PE teacher came to check that I was alright, so did my friend. The teacher told the girls top bullying my mate' and they stopped for a while. I'm in year 10 for goodness sake. I haven't had an easy couple of months, let alone life, and now I have to put up with another school year of this. Every year I have this problem and that's one of the reasons I started to harm myself. It was a way that I could control how I felt. I just don't know whether I have enough strength to not harm again. I've been trying so hard but so much has been happening. Can you help me with different ways to control these feelings pleasexx