Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Likelihood of another psychotic episode

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
During my first year at uni i had what is stated on my medical notes as "major depression with psychotic episode". The psychotic episode lasted for between a few weeks and a couple of months maximum but ever since i have been really scared that i could have another. I know i was no danger to anyone else it was just hallucinations, but it was probably one of the most scary experiences of my life and i keep getting worried they could come back at any time. Its been nearly 5 years and although i regularly have depression still i've been drug free for just under a year and asides flashbacks I've never had anything like it since. Whats the likelihood i'll have another episode in my lifetime?

Comments

• Options
    Anyone? I keep getting worried :/ researching online hasn't given me any clues
  • Options
    Georgie_Georgie_ Posts: 112 The Mix Convert
    Hey there. :)

I don't know personally, the best way to get an answer (or the closest thing) would be to go see your doctor, they know you best and could help you more. But from reading that personally I think if you've been 5 years since I think you'll be fine unless something traumatic happens. :) I don't think you've anything to worry about but I'd avoid the internet, I googled "I have a headache" and now I must have at least 12 different cancers.. the internet just blows things out as worse case scenarios.

I hope you get the answer you're after soon and sorry I'm not much use! *hug*

Best wishes,
    Frankie :)
  • Options
    Psychotic epsiodes can be a one off thing or they can be regular. There's no way of predicting them really but things can trigger them, for me I have them quite regularly but only for a few hours and its generally a result of seeing/hearing tiggering content.

There's some advice here about self help: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/psychosis/how-can-i-help-myself/?o=6264#.Uu8ClahFD0w

I think if you are really worried you should speak to your gp, your going through a lot at the minute with signing the statememt etc so hopefully your go can put some support in place.
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    i personally don't know, sorry ... but the doctors might be able to help ... or if you think you may have another one, just having someone to phone who can help will be good :) just try take one day at a time :)

Toodles!
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    The problem is that my GP doesn't know me well and I'm not even sure if she has my full notes yet (and there's huge huge gaps in my medical history as well). I did speak to my mum and she said that considering what it's is that's making me question it (I keep getting flashbacks to pain and having moments of feeling incredibly down which seems to feel totally disassociated to how I've been feeling prior to that moment) she didn't think I had anything to worry about. I'm really not sure, it could be because of the whole police case opening again and having all of that going over and over again into head. And my therapy has been out on hold because of it, so I don't really have the support from there either.

Urgh :/
  • Options
    Maybe it's worth going to see them and trying to fill in the blanks for them? Like going through everything. That way although it'll be a bit tedious you'll be able to get some idea as they're still the best person to ask. If you think it's worth going to your GP go see them, you shouldn't require an adult I believe and just try to explain to your mum, and if this fails you tried. I'm sure if you try she'll understand, whether she shows it or not.
    With the police I understand how much of a pain not getting help from an open case can be, but keep trying if you make clear that you need some support they're much more likely to try or help out a bit more.

Sorry this isn't much use
    Frankie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    I'm 24 so I'd like to think I'm enough of an adult to go on my own (doesn't mean I don't still take my mum ocassionally!). I might ask for access to my medical records and see what it all says. The problem is not that they won't support me, its that the support is the otherside of the country to me! :(
  • Options
    I think you should go and say you are worried because of what's going on for you in life at the minute, and say it might trigger an episode. They should offer you some support or maybe put you in touch with a local charity for abuse victims that can help you while the case is on going.
  • Options
    Likelihood of another psychotic episode

I mentioned the adult as my brother (He's 29 now) still brings our dad along for just moral support, but you don't need to (I know I would!). I'd ask to see the notes as I'm pretty sure they can't not let you see them as they're on you, but good luck with it. :) on the support bit you say other side of the country, is that like really really far? because if it's only an hour or so away although it'd be an inconvenience you could travel as that'd be better than going without in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    There is no local charity for abuse victims, thats part of the problem. I'm 4 hours plus drive away, and i don't drive!
  • Options
    I'm really starting to struggle - I'm feeling really out of touch with everything, I'm crying all the time and feel I can't achieve anything and that if I get better physically, the PTSD and everything that comes with it won't and right now I feel I won't getting better physically either. I've started to get the awful repetitive stuff going around my head - nasty kids singing nursery rhymes on repeat.

I feel like a shadow of the person I was 3 years ago.