Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

knitters!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I know there's a few good knitters on here so wondered if you could help :)

I'm having a baby and my boyfriends mum is amazing at knitting, she's pretty much said if you find a pattern you want I'll knit it for you. she's already made 2 blankets and a shawl, there's no stopping her! I googled 'baby knitting patternsp' and I was basically totally overwhelmed by the choice, so I wondered if anybody had any favourites they want to share?

I'm particularly looking for nice cardigans. also are there any good sites I can go on and just print out a pattern so I can give it her? instead of buying the pattern and waiting for it to come. iv just bought some gorgeously soft wool and can't wait for her to make something with it!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would join ravelry but that might be a lot of faff if you're not a knitter yourself.

There's a great pattern on knitty.com that I think is called Op-Art. Franki made it, I think, maybe she'll jump in and confirm.
    Op Art? Not moi.

I have got some paid baby patterns though, Firey, if you want me to email you a few over?
    Op Art? Not moi.

I have got some paid baby patterns though, Firey, if you want me to email you a few over?

that would be great thank you :) I'll PM you my email on faceyb!

the wool that iv picked, boyfriends mum said I have to find a chunky knit so do I search chunky knit cardigans, or? I'm finding this all confusing I don't know why!
    Aww bless you :p.

If you message me the brand and stuff off the label, I'll see if I can find a nice pattern to match :)
    What's the name of the wool? And how much do you have?
    thanks you two! really appreciate it.

the wool is this http://www.blacksheepwools.com/james-c-brett-flutterby-chunky.html

flutterby chunky by James c Brett. I don't have it yet but I can buy as much as I need. however I'm thinking a cardigan instead of a blanket because otherwise it might turn out expensive?! x
    Deramores (which is a website I quite like for buying yarn from) sells patterns designed for Flutterby (so you could buy the wool and pattern together and minimise waiting):

Hooded blanket

Blankets

All-in-one

Cardigans in a different yarn of the same weight

Also some freebies that I think would work:

Baby hoodie (NB: on this one the needle size is in US, it's about 6-7mm I think but you can convert online or ask me or Franki to do it for you if you decide to use this one!)

Quick-and-easy stripey blanket

Diagonal stripes (you'd probably want to use slightly smaller needles for your yarn - about 6-7mm - so buy a bit of extra yarn if you wanted it that big)

Op Art (I would use slightly larger needles, say 5.5 or 6, because it will knit up faster and probably need fewer pattern repeats to make an acceptable size).

If your boyfriend's mum can bear to make a blanket, I would recommend it - my mum made one for my nephew and he loves it and won't ever let it go (in contrast to the cardis I made that he grew out of within minutes). Ultimately it's a more satisfying gift for the knitter (selfishly) and you'll probably get loads of lovely clothes.

Good choice of yarn, by the way, because you've chosen something that will be really hard-wearing and vomit/washing-machine proof. Well played.
    Might be worth joining Ravelry - the sign up is pretty simple and there's a great pattern search on there. If your boyfriends mum hasn't come across it, then she might like it too.
    piccolo wrote: »

If your boyfriend's mum can bear to make a blanket, I would recommend it - my mum made one for my nephew and he loves it and won't ever let it go (in contrast to the cardis I made that he grew out of within minutes). Ultimately it's a more satisfying gift for the knitter (selfishly) and you'll probably get loads of lovely clothes.

Good choice of yarn, by the way, because you've chosen something that will be really hard-wearing and vomit/washing-machine proof. Well played.

thanks you're a star :) I'll check all those out now! his mum has already made us 2 gorgeous blankets and is halfway through a shawl! she's a machine! I love that wool, somebody at work had a blanket made for them by their grandma and it was sooo soft, I asked for the name of the wool :D